what 15" for the house?

Almost every loudspeaker that is mentioned in this thread has completely missed the point of theatrical reproduction. The drivers listed here do not have the effeciency, frequency response or mechanical and electrical properties you are after.

The main aim of a 'reference' loudspeaker is high effeciency, well into the 94+dB/1w/1M, with large cone area so that the driver does not have to use large motions to generate required pressure. 15" drivers are usually quite good at this. The free-air resonant frequency (fZ) should be a low value, and the driver should be able to reproduce sound in the lower octaves. A good driver will be able to reproduce sound well into the 25+Hz region (-3dB) in the correct enclosure without damage. The driver may use a heavy cone (high moving mass) to lower the fZ or a light cone with high BL, either way the driver must be effecient and responsive.

It does not take incredible power to make low frequencies in a useable range for home theatre use. 135w per coil is plenty for a dual coil driver with high effeciency, and 135 will still be enough to make things work with a single coil driver of high effeciency.

Grab a car audio woofer with 88dB/1w/1M sensitivity with a useable response to 40Hz, give it 135W and you will be dissapointed.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

DC Lvl 2 or Lvl 3 for sure PM Rusty for price. If i remember right it might be a lil over 150

this

i have a lvl 2 10" on 200 watts for the home theater sub, gets pretty damn loud, box is 1.2 cubes, 45hz, sounds clean too :)

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

Almost every loudspeaker that is mentioned in this thread has completely missed the point of theatrical reproduction. The drivers listed here do not have the effeciency, frequency response or mechanical and electrical properties you are after.

The main aim of a 'reference' loudspeaker is high effeciency, well into the 94+dB/1w/1M, with large cone area so that the driver does not have to use large motions to generate required pressure. 15" drivers are usually quite good at this. The free-air resonant frequency (fZ) should be a low value, and the driver should be able to reproduce sound in the lower octaves. A good driver will be able to reproduce sound well into the 25+Hz region (-3dB) in the correct enclosure without damage. The driver may use a heavy cone (high moving mass) to lower the fZ or a light cone with high BL, either way the driver must be effecient and responsive.

It does not take incredible power to make low frequencies in a useable range for home theatre use. 135w per coil is plenty for a dual coil driver with high effeciency, and 135 will still be enough to make things work with a single coil driver of high effeciency.

Grab a car audio woofer with 88dB/1w/1M sensitivity with a useable response to 40Hz, give it 135W and you will be dissapointed.

Cheers,

Mick

please listen to this guy . please. look at his sig.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

• 3 weeks later...
so im looking for a sub for my room... it will go into a 4.7 cube ported box.... and ill be shoving around 130watts up each one of its coils.... and it will need to be dual 4 ohm...

im looking for something like $150 and under.... what do you guys suggest?

DD 1515!

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/09/woofer09_1500.asp

• 1 month later...

ok well its been awhile since i posted this thread... i ended up getting a soundstream eg-15x .......... 91db efficiency... it does pretty good... but now i need to find some reliable power for it... so im thinking like a plate amp or something... something that can do 300 to 400rms at 2 or 8 ohm.... but im not sure if i can find one that wont kill my pocket...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

maelstrom X, adire brahma, aa avalanche, soundsplinter rlp, tc 2000, many more

spend some time over here and you will learn about home audio

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/

coming to a car audio site to get good home audio advice is like going to autozone to get some information about your refrigerator :)

Archived