Whats the difference between passive and active?

I need a quick rundown on what the difference between passive and active. Passive is being powered by the headunit???? and active is powered by a amplifier? Maybe i didn't hear right but i want to make sure!

03 350Z

iirc in a Active setup the crossover is between the HU and amp. in a passive setup the crossover is between the amp and speakers

"Audio is not a hobby it's a lifestyle"

_____________________________Refs_1_Refs_2_____________________________

th_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifth_RF_140x100_powersubs.jpg

iirc in a Active setup the crossover is between the HU and amp. in a passive setup the crossover is between the amp and speakers

Kinda, but it's a little different than that.

An active setup uses a digital crossover or head unit with a digital crossover to set the parameters for the speaker system. A passive is a built crossover with analog parts that work in the same type of way but are limited by what they can do. Active can be adjusted to the user's exact preferences and passive is prebuilt and determined by the crossover manufacturer.

I may not be right on the money with my description either and I'm sure there is someone out there that can eloborate more, but for the most part it has to do with digital and analog.

Here are some deffinitions for you that should sum it up:

Passive Crossover: A crossover network dividing the frequencies without any active amplification or buffering components and which uses only resistors, capacitors and inductors.

Active crossover: An electronic crossover which uses at least one active device for gain or buffering.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

so basically active would be running an amplifier and passive would be runnin of the headunit? sound about right?

I run my components to a xover then to the amp, and i can mess with it on my head unit so im doing both ? ?

I need a quick rundown on what the difference between passive and active. Passive is being powered by the headunit???? and active is powered by a amplifier? Maybe i didn't hear right but i want to make sure!
ever heard of google?

Active xover vs. Passive xover

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

^^ this guy ha ha. I hope i don't see your ass asking for help. Wait im sure you know everything. You don't need help. This forum is here for this reason. I searched. Yes i did. Obviously i didn't find anything under the search results with your name on it. I forget YOU use GOOGLE!! "Ever heard of google"... ha ha your great. Thanks for the help man. You definitely wasted two minutes of your time quoting and responding to the post. Im sure google could use some customer service. Call them they may be hiring. You would be their number one candidate.

03 350Z

one of the great things about running active is that the amp will only amplify the frequencies you need ;)

EDIT: and yest this question could have easily been searched.

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Examples:

Active xover:

EQX.jpg

Passive xover:

Passive_Crossover_for_Car_HIFI_.jpg

I just remember that active you can adjust and control and passive is normal fixed to a certain cut off frequency.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg