Sonic Electronix

bottoming a speaker out in a box

ok just how is it done actually? i know you set a ss filter to the point so that it doesnt but i was just wondering how do you know its gonna do it and how do you know it is doing it.

retarded build on the way.....

2000 bagged s10

2 hdc3 15s

aq2200

aq4x90

stinger/knu wire

optima batteries

220 amp alt

fosgate hu/mids and highs

Maybe a dumb Question, but help me clear your question.

You mean bottoming out the back of the magnet to the back of the box?

OR

You mean bottoming out the voice coil at deep excursion?

If the box then make a ring to space out the sub.

If the voice coil then you need a steep high pass filter. And you will know when you do it. It sound like a horrible engine running.

If this is no help, ....I have no idea what your ? is,...........so I will need the help. Please explain!

93' Ford Aerostar

Alpine head unit

4-5.25 MB Quarts

20-10" pyramids super Pro

1 Lanzar amp

^^ huh?

bottoming out a sub is where the voice coil hits the back of the motor. it is usually caused by playing material under the tuning of a box. thats what subsonic filters are for.

bottoming out a sub sounds like a rapid popping/snapping noise

bottoming out subs is VERY bad.

i blew a dc level 4 because i bottomed it out. just make certain that the subsonic control on your amplifier is set to the same number as your box tuning.

(a box tuned to 34 hrz, needs a subsonic set to 34 hrz as well)

**edit**

its caused by the sub's over excursion. when you play a really low-low, it'll sound sloppy and that a good indication that bottoming out is close. you may also get "tinsel slap" on heavy notes if your subwoofer's tinsel leads are not sewn into the spider. it will sound like the cone is smacking into something that it really shouldnt be hitting..

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

yea, bottoming out is when the coil hits the back plate of the motor.

you will know its doing it, because it will be making mechanical noise...it will sound like the coil is hitting metal...lol..plain and simple

you know its going to happen from experience....there are certain songs with stupid low notes...and when it happens once it probably wont happen again.

just set ur ssf accordingly and u should be fine

i likes me some audio stuff...

Yeah sounds kinda like clattering... as mentioned above, you usually only hear it once, followed by a scratchy noise and some smoke coming out the port. Instant coil slinky in a lot of cases.

Buy a DD and you'll never bottom out, you'll just blow cones :lol:

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived