Not 100% sure if this goes in this section, if not my apologies.

I bought my car last year and it had the VIN etched into the window already (supposedly for security purposes??). Now the dealer told me the window was VIN etched but it is not "activated" until I pay them $150. Then when I pay that $150 I would get $2000 back from the insurance if the car was ever totaled. They explained that this is how the VIN etching service worked.

I just heard on the radio for a program for people to get thier windows VIN etched for $10, so the car can be recovered if stolen, ie easily ID'd, that is what reminded me.

Is the dealer full of it?

(By the way, I didn't go for it)

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

what if you crack your glass and have it replaced?

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

What needs to be activated? If the vin is already on the window... I guess I don't understand.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

Dealership was pretty shady to begin with. But they were saying the "service" was to be activated. Basically if I didnt "activate" it and I totaled my car, I would not get that $2000 or so they claimed...just curious if anyone had any experience or knowledge of VIN etching...

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

thats bullshit. your vin is registered no matter what. the one on your windshield is no different.

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

I think to qualify for the insurance part if it is what he is talking about, no just the vin in general right? I think the insurance needs to know from a valid source that the work has been performed, but for a 150 beans I would call my insurance company and find out what needed to be done!

03 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab l 2 15" American Bass XO's l 1 Lanzar HTG2600 l AudioVox 1510D In dash DVD l KnuKonceptz Wiring l Big Three Done with KnuKonceptz KLMX 1/0 l Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" Front Door Speakers l Upgraded to 145A Alt from 105A Alt l Custom Box 2^3 under the rear bench with resined bottom, and about 4 lbs of polyfill

That is a rip off, My girl works for the vehicle inspection department here in Kansas. Some issues differ per state but when it comes to VIN numbers they are all the same. The Window etching is to make it easier to identify the vehicle, if your law enforcement/insurance has the right equipment. There are at least 5 areas of the average vehicle where they can locate a VIN. I don't see any real benefits with this service (unless you're the dealer)

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass