Biggiest and baddest wire for going overkill.....

I found this picture on a different fourm ... It seems to put things into perspective. From the right to the left...4/0ga welding...3/0ga welding...2/0ga welding...1/0ga welding...1/0ga Kicker Hyperflex...1/0ga Lighting Audio...1/0ga Knu Kollossus...2/0ga welding...1/0ga welding................

Posted Image

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

My only concern there is that to get the equivalent of 4/0, I'd have to run like 4 strands of 1/0, and at the connectors and terminals and what not it would be a lot easier to just have one big lug with the 4/0 than like (4) 1/0 lugs.The welding wire also has a really high heat resistance for under the hood, the Trystar is even double insulated.I can't have it all I guess :sad:

That is incorrect, 2 runs of 4 gauge will equal 1 run of 1 gauge. Not the 1 run of 2 gauge that you would think it would.

When you double a run it jumps up 3 steps not 2.

The calculator for this is close to the bottom of the page. Bcae1

pshhh $4 a foot for welding wire...i get that for free. working at a welding shop FTW!

Must be nice! :yahoo:

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

i think i have stinger wire in my car and i havent had a problem with it at all

Vehicle: 1995 Impala SSHead Unit: Pioneer AVH-P4400BHMids And Highs: (still deciding)Batteries: 1 Deka Group 34

Time to make a race car.My Build Log: Solo X 12"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build/My Build Log: DC lvl 4 xl 15"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build-My Wall Build Log: 4 Lanzar 15's/ 3k+ RMShttp://www.stevemead...t-by-techforce/My Feedback:http://www.stevemead...1

This is a great topic. my whole car is wired from welding suppy. right now i am in a search for 3/0 or 4/0 wire, but the only thing holding me back is how do i connect it to my amp, if anyone knows where to get 3/0 reducers to 1/0 or a 4/0 reducer to 1/0, chime in. Welding supplys shipment is extremely fast FYI

---------------------------------------------------------------

Club 150 (15x.x)

Youtube

Future Build:

1x 15" T3 TSNS

2x Sundown Audio SAZ3000d Parellel strapped

I think we're on the same ground here, we're just looking at it two different ways. At least here's how I see it:

A single strand wire will be able to carry more current than a wire with multiple strands. Period. There's no contesting that fact. The thicker and shorter the wire, the less resistance it provides.

In terms of feasibility in a car audio application, you want the wire that will give you the most cross-sectional area while maintaining the most flexibility. There's two ways of looking at this. The more small, individual wires there are, the less space in between them, so it almost acts as if it were one big wire. However, the two are not the same. The myriad small wires have the same cross-sectional area as one big wire, so they can carry the same current. But, on the other hand, they still act as hundreds of small wires, so they build up more resistance than one thick wire would.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the cross-sectional area. I know it's the same between them, whether you have one thick wire or lots of little ones. My point I'm trying to make is that one thick wire will build up less resistance and outperform hundreds of little ones. That is science. However, I will agree with you that, within the context of car audio, a higher strand count is very desirable. It maintains the cross-sectional area while allowing much more flex.

For car audio applications, welding cable is just as effective as Fleks cable. The cross-sectional area is the same, so they'll handle the same current. The distance of the wires in the car is not enough of a factor to make strand diameter into much of a factor, so the two will perform equally. The only difference is the amount of flexibility you're going to get out of the wire. Oh, and how much you're going to have to pay for it :D

x2 on this 100 percent. 1 fatty wire will have less resistance than a bunch of smaller wires.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

I think some people are getting confused about the difference between 1 AWG and 1 Gauge.I'm seeing some mixing of terms here.That picture on post 41 though is a great find by the way SojiaRaggs9000.

I think we're on the same ground here, we're just looking at it two different ways. At least here's how I see it:

A single strand wire will be able to carry more current than a wire with multiple strands. Period. There's no contesting that fact. The thicker and shorter the wire, the less resistance it provides.

In terms of feasibility in a car audio application, you want the wire that will give you the most cross-sectional area while maintaining the most flexibility. There's two ways of looking at this. The more small, individual wires there are, the less space in between them, so it almost acts as if it were one big wire. However, the two are not the same. The myriad small wires have the same cross-sectional area as one big wire, so they can carry the same current. But, on the other hand, they still act as hundreds of small wires, so they build up more resistance than one thick wire would.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the cross-sectional area. I know it's the same between them, whether you have one thick wire or lots of little ones. My point I'm trying to make is that one thick wire will build up less resistance and outperform hundreds of little ones. That is science. However, I will agree with you that, within the context of car audio, a higher strand count is very desirable. It maintains the cross-sectional area while allowing much more flex.

For car audio applications, welding cable is just as effective as Fleks cable. The cross-sectional area is the same, so they'll handle the same current. The distance of the wires in the car is not enough of a factor to make strand diameter into much of a factor, so the two will perform equally. The only difference is the amount of flexibility you're going to get out of the wire. Oh, and how much you're going to have to pay for it :D

My question is mainly about the last paragraph.What size welding cable is equivalent to 1/0 Knu wire?

My question is mainly about the last paragraph.What size welding cable is equivalent to 1/0 Knu wire?

2/0 ... look in the picture i posted there is 2/0 welding wire next to the knu. Also the welding wire pictured is from tystar.

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

Archived