ENGINE PROBLEM HELP!!!!!2002 Cougar 2.5 V6

Guest 02cougarc2

Guest 02cougarc2

Hey guys, I have a 2002 Mercury Cougar C2 with a 2.5l V6 and an Automatic Transaxle. The check engine light has been on for a while but I havent had the time to get it diagnosed. About a week ago, when sitting in park for a minute, the engine started to rev by it self. I was later at a stop light and had my brakes applied just enough to keep the car stopped and it revved again and actally moved the car a little. I had the car running for a little bit in my drive way checking the speakers and when I went to closed the hood, it was making an either sucking or blowing sound. Back in April I had the car diagnose at my HS Auto tech and they concluded that banks 1 and 2 were running lean, most likely caused by a fauly O2 sensor. The light went off later around june then came back on in august. Your help is really appriciated.

Thanks,

02cougarc2

Guest 02cougarc2

Hey guys, I have a 2002 Mercury Cougar C2 with a 2.5l V6 and an Automatic Transaxle. The check engine light has been on for a while but I havent had the time to get it diagnosed. About a week ago, when sitting in park for a minute, the engine started to rev by it self. I was later at a stop light and had my brakes applied just enough to keep the car stopped and it revved again and actally moved the car a little. I had the car running for a little bit in my drive way checking the speakers and when I went to closed the hood, it was making an either sucking or blowing sound. Back in April I had the car diagnose at my HS Auto tech and they concluded that banks 1 and 2 were running lean, most likely caused by a fauly O2 sensor. The light went off later around june then came back on in august. Your help is really appriciated.

Thanks,

02cougarc2

Car has about 90,000 Miles

i don't know if this will help.But anyways....

maybe you can buy a engine Diagnostic System.This is a device that detects the "check engine sign" problem.you plug it in(don't know where)then it will give you a code.Go to a website and find the code.

Or...

Go to a mechanic.

Hope this helps =)

here is a example of how one looks like =)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...5399&catid=

Vacuum leak? take it to autozone and have them read the code.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

check your idle air control valve...it acts like the choke on a carb. it will open or close the throttle depending on several variables. so if its surging i would start with that. the very least take it out and clean it with some brake clean but do not push in the plunger it will damage it if you do.

my girlfriend has an 00 cougar and hers was acting similar but

it would idle very rough and almost die and throttle was not very responsive

Check and make sure your gas cap it screw on correctly i know with the 00 it causes the engine light

to come on and if you live where it snows some gas companies add more ethanol to there fuel and some ford/mercury's

dont like the added methanol so get a coolant flush and injector cleaner and get a new tank of gas from a different gas company

worked for my gfs cougar

98 Dodge Durango

12 000K 50/55W Headlights

12 000K 35W Fog lights

HU Panasonic CQ-VX100 7" Reciever

(1) Fi SSD 18" Fully Loaded

(1) Ported box 33hz

(1) Soundstream TRX1500D

(1) Soundstream TRX2.440

(1) RE 6.5" Component Set

(1) Rear battery

Big 3 in 0/1 gauge

2 runs of 1/0 Gauge wire

250A Alt soon..

AAMCO will do a free diagnostic. start with that.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

It wont be your throttle position sensor or gas cap, Most likely to be be your idle air control. It could be bad and having false readings, automatically dumping more fuel and air in the engine. But it is hard to tell without hooking up a scan tool to read what code your computer has set. If you could get the code by using someones scan tool, I could tell you what it means and how to properly diagnose it and repair it. I am a mechanic, but still in school for it, so i dont know everything but have mastered the emissions/electrical/sensors classes. Let me know if you need any more help.

That could get interested with her potential positions, this being one of the better.. As soon as we started getting into it though, I'd have to toss her a serious taint/balls teabag from hell though with her head right there.-Marlo Stanfield

2 RE Audio SX 18's

Audiobahn 2200 Amplifier (soon to be upgraded)

14.34cuft@33hz enclosure

JVC kdr600 headunit(soon to be upgraded)

Big Three Performed

(upgrading alternator and adding more battery power soon)

i had a 1999 cougar... same problem at stop lights... was the IAC... or idle air control solenoid... replaced it done.. that sucking sound is probably a vacuum leak

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

Archived