battery bulge...why? :(

i just found this in a search, not sure if you found it or not already.

it says undercharging is just as bad as overcharging. so maybe your alt is goin out. theres also a spot about heat causing increased current, causing more heat, causing more current, etc..

i mostly read the bottom portion though

http://www.mkbattery.com/images/VRLA_TechManual.pdf

Ive seen alot of batteries have bulges. Most of them were from just being made out of thin plastic and batteries dont have much if any bracing. This is no bid deal.

The other is from overcharging and probably just too much pressure in them. What is your alt voltage?

The best person to ask would probably be Scottie Johnson with XS-Power.

i just found this in a search, not sure if you found it or not already.

it says undercharging is just as bad as undercharging. so maybe your alt is goin out. theres also a spot about heat causing increased current, causing more heat, causing more current, etc..

i mostly read the bottom portion though

http://www.mkbattery.com/images/VRLA_TechManual.pdf

:good:

REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten

Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS?????

It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying....

It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up...

/Rant

:)

I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!

dont buy from knowledge he will scam you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/

yeah if thats the case he has one 5100 and one 5100R...

2 regular 5100's.

well it was just a guess.. or he could have the batts just facing eachother that way or something..

lol you're correct. i tried explaining it best i could. by upside down, if you're looking at it, the writing on one 5100 is regular, and the other is 'upside down'. had to do it that way to fit the terminals and all on there.

thanks for that link fritos. on my way to home depot i was thinkin it might be an alt issue. definitely not overcharging, so it must be undercharging.

last couple days after i got my volt meter in, it stays in the low to mid 14's, sometimes high 13's. depending on how loud i play my music. so there's no big irregular drops that i'm aware of. i'll shoot him a PM tonight or somethin after i get done workin outside.

thanks for the replies :)

EDIT: lol i noticed that too. but knew what he meant by it. silly fritos :D

Sounds like a heat issue to me. I know the s series use a metal jacket to protect them from engine heat. Get ahold of scottiej and i'm sure he will get you all setup

Team Sundown

Team XS Power

System:

Car: 1997 Honda Accord

Head unit: Alpine CDE-7870

Amp: 2 Sundown saz-1500

Battery: kinetik 1400 and 2400

Subs: 2 Audioque HD310 D2

ok, so i have 2 XS D5100 batts under the hood in the stock location. i ran a lil power wire for my volt meter in my car the other day and noticed one side of each battery bulging out a little. i've never seen this before, so i dont know how/why it happened :( all searches i've tried point to wet cell batteries. any ideas why? no idea how long they've been like that either. i have an extra one here, but dont wanna put it in if it'll just happen again. and all connections are secured and tight before anyone asks if that may be the cause ;)

what else is kind of weird is that one is 'upside down' compared to the other. so it's like the left side of one battery, and the right side of another one.

Ouch sounds like they are overcharging or getting too hot.

Sealed batteries are under pressure as they charge. A slight bulge of the ends of a battery is not a huge problem, just a sign to be careful of the combination of heat and charge voltage. If heat is extraordinarily high, I would recommend shielding them from the heat, or decreasing the charge voltage while they are hot.

It's easy to get into a thermal runaway situation... if battery capacity is low, as you re-charge the battery will get hot... combine this with high engine temps, and the temp can get away from you quickly... the hotter it gets, the more pliable the plastic becomes. If you're not careful you will have a couple of grey and white balloons on your hands :)

I would recommend charging them individually with a good quality AGM battery charger and reinstalling them... should help equalize each cell, and make it easier on the alt, and will create less heat in the battery as the alt charges.

Hope this helps!

XS POWER Batteries, Chargers & Accessories

888-4XS-POWER

Archived