Best Laptop for the money?

hey guys, I think its about time i buy my own laptop for class, and stop using my mom's :D

Im basically looking for something that will word process, view youtube videos, and surf the net decently. Not looking for anything special. I dont give a fuck about graphics cards lol....

But I dont know which ones are at least reliable.

I have about a 500 dollar limit.

Also one thing, once I get a laptop, how do I put Windows 7 on it? Sorry im a uber noob with computer hardware and software.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

I would never recommend a prebuilt Dell to anyone looking for an overall good computer but for your budget and needs I'd say go that way.

Old Setup
03 DurangoRF Power T1 6.5 CompsMids/Highs Amp: AQ4x90Sub Amp: AQ 3500.1DSubs: 2 DC XL 18sBox: 12ft^3 tuned to 33HzMechman 270 Amp AltXS 6500XS 3100 x2

Highest Score to date: 151.2 db @ Headrest

i bought my toshiba at wal mart for like $350 and it hasnt gave me any problems i only surf the web and download and burn cds with it tho nothing special

2 15" DC LVL 5' crescendo 5500 yellow top under the hood and two xs power d3100

Big three upgrade

Rockford Fosgate T162S components in front

Rockford Fosgate T152 in the back

Dynamat everywhere

asus 1000h

250 at best buy, 1.6ghz atom, gig of ram, 160gig hdd. youtube and email and word processing work great.

its small and light and the batt lasts atleast 2 hours of real life usage (online, typing, etc.)

and it has windows xp, so, uk, it actually works.

i'm on it right now and i love it, but i put ubuntu on it, im kinda turning into a linux fanboy

(sony vaio netbook has the same specs, but a smaller screen and no touchpad...its 2000 bux msrp)

the only downside i found is that one value in the keyboard registry is off and will make you double type letters sometimes if you type fast like i do, but theres mad tutorials online on how to fix it and it takes like a minute.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

asus 1000h

250 at best buy, 1.6ghz atom, gig of ram, 160gig hdd. youtube and email and word processing work great.

its small and light and the batt lasts atleast 2 hours of real life usage (online, typing, etc.)

and it has windows xp, so, uk, it actually works.

i'm on it right now and i love it, but i put ubuntu on it, im kinda turning into a linux fanboy

(sony vaio netbook has the same specs, but a smaller screen and no touchpad...its 2000 bux msrp)

the only downside i found is that one value in the keyboard registry is off and will make you double type letters sometimes if you type fast like i do, but theres mad tutorials online on how to fix it and it takes like a minute.

Personally, netbooks have their place in the market, BUT NOT FOR A PRIMARY USE COMPUTER THOUGH, or atleast that is my opinion. I used a netbook for a few days here at work, but honestly, my eyes are still killing me from it. Staring at a 10.1" screen killed me.

OP: THis is a solid notebook (which is also pretty fast) would serve your purpose greatly, and future use as-well. For only 499$, honestly, you cant go wrong. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834115654

*4GB RAM in dual channel

*dual core AMD X64

*64bit WIN7 pre loaded

*15.6" screen

Edited by newls1

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

I just found out from Earth that wal mart is having a pre black friday sale tomorrow morning. 8 AM

but theres a dell laptop for 298.... heres the specs

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=12347224

Enjoy the beautiful clarity of full-screen movie playback on the HP 15.6" Pavilion G60-519WM Entertainment Laptop PC. The powerful Intel Celeron processor, 3GB memory and a 250GB hard drive help you easily manage everyday computing tasks. Get online more quickly with Windows 7 and high-speed wireless LAN, or create personalized DVD and CD labels on LightScribe-enabled discs with the LightScribe DVD burner.

HP 15.6" Pavilion G60-519WM Entertainment Laptop PC:

* 15.6" diagonal BrightView widescreen display

Presents 1366 x 768 resolution (WXGA)

* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (shared) with up to 1309MB of total available graphics memory

* Intel Celeron Processor 900

Provides 2.2GHz speed, an 800MB frontside bus, and 1MB L2 cache

* 3GB of DDR2 system memory

Furnishes enough memory for today's demanding applications and can be expanded to 4GB

* 250GB SATA hard drive, 7200 rpm

Stores up to 71,000 photos, or up to 62,000 songs, or up to 30 hours of HD video, and more

* LightScribe SuperMulti DVD optical drive with double-layer support

Plays and creates CDs and DVDs with support for 11 different formats

* LightScribe technology etches custom labels right onto LightScribe-ready discs

* Wireless Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet

Connect to a broadband modem (cable or DSL) wirelessly or using the wired 10/100 Ethernet port

* Also wirelessly connects to a Wi-Fi signal/hotspot with 802.11b/g wireless LAN

* Built-in 56k modem for dial-up connections

HP 15.6" Pavilion G60-519WM Entertainment Laptop PC Specifications

* HP Imprint finish in black and silver

* Three USB 2.0 ports

* VGA video output

* Microphone and headphone ports

* 6-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery

* Altec Lansing audio

HP 15.6" Pavilion G60-519WM Entertainment Laptop PC Software

* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit edition. To learn more about the features of Windows 7, Click here.

* Microsoft Works 9

* Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Edition, 60-day trial version

* Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009, trial version including 60 days of complimentary live updates

* HP Software: HP Help & Support, HP Advisor, HP DVD Play, and HP Set Up

* Cyberlink DVD Suite

* Muvee Reveal

* Adobe Acrobat Reader

* HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent

HP 15.6" Pavilion G60-519WM Entertainment Laptop PC Support and Warranty

* 1-year limited hardware warranty with toll-free support>

* 30-day free limited software support with 1-year (from date of purchase) free limited software support with product registration

I understand that its a trial version of windows 7 so i know about that hassle. but other than that....worth it?

thanks fellas. if so ill camp out in fron of that bitch tonight.... :D

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

no, that CPU in that notebook is a single core (slow), single channel mem (VERY SLOW), and shitty ass monitor. DO NOT BUY. SPend the extra 150$ and look at the link im my thread above....... Would last you alot longer, and performance wise, HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny