im looking at 97 to 2000 year vw jettas. dont know much about them except that i wanna drive the hell outta one. 1st question, are the trannys tough? what is a vr6? what to look for? what to shy away from?

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

get the vr6. its a 6 cylinder with the pistons offset sort of like a W. amazing torque. the trannies are usually fine with those cars. stay away from the 2.0 4 cylinder. they are slow as a mofo

^What doug said...but if you're looking for a car you can upgrade, you can't go wrong with the 1.8T. 4Motion 1.8T cars are rarer, but hell I'm sure with upgrades you could use one to give a stock WRX a run for its money.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

im looking at 97 to 2000 year vw jettas. dont know much about them except that i wanna drive the hell outta one. 1st question, are the trannys tough? what is a vr6? what to look for? what to shy away from?

well you notated 2 models

97-98 is like mine and like Davids

99-2000 is a mk4

totally different cars vr6 are nice my 4cylinder is fine

well you notated 2 models

97-98 is like mine and like Davids

99-2000 is a mk4

totally different cars vr6 are nice my 4cylinder is fine

James, what is the differance between the the split year models? i should have just said pre 2000 but good lookin out!

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

MK4 (99.5-2005) Which you are looking at are not very good cars. Tranny's are garbage and will just break if you "drive the hell outta one"

Volkswagens are not meant to go fast. Go buy a Honda if you want to drive the hell out of something. Please leave a Volkswagen alone. And you spelled the name wrong too.

VR6 is slow unless it's chipped, and has a 270 or 288 cam, tectonics exhaust and a borla muffler for incredible sound. IMHO a VR6 is only meant for the sound...

MK4 also has a 1.8t which is faster, lighter, smaller, and uses less gas then a VR6. Go with the 1.8t. They have a lot of mods for it like turbo kits, and the such. Also the 1.8t's are cheaper to fix :)

MK4 (99.5-2005) Which you are looking at are not very good cars. Tranny's are garbage and will just break if you "drive the hell outta one"

Volkswagens are not meant to go fast. Go buy a Honda if you want to drive the hell out of something. Please leave a Volkswagen alone. And you spelled the name wrong too.

VR6 is slow unless it's chipped, and has a 270 or 288 cam, tectonics exhaust and a borla muffler for incredible sound. IMHO a VR6 is only meant for the sound...

MK4 also has a 1.8t which is faster, lighter, smaller, and uses less gas then a VR6. Go with the 1.8t. They have a lot of mods for it like turbo kits, and the such. Also the 1.8t's are cheaper to fix :)

bummers... i will have more room in the vw after i put a cage in it im 6'2" 285lbs and barely fit in a stock honda.

okay i know i will still fit in a pre '99...

bummers... i will have more room in the vw after i put a cage in it im 6'2" 285lbs and barely fit in a stock honda.

Big dude. Well you can make a VR6 fast, but then it will cost a lot. 1.8t is the way to go if you are looking at the MK4 body style.

Ever look at the Corrado's? Their also VW and made in the late 80's early 90's. They have the VR6 and G60 motors. VR6 is the better of the two. There's a lot of room in there :)

Also those cars are great for motor swaps.

i just ruled out '99.5 to 2000's

Archived