xanoreita Posted December 17, 2009 Report Posted December 17, 2009 Its been about -10 to - 17 Celsius (14 to 1.4 Fahrenheit?) this week and everytime I start playing music, subs are pretty quiet for the first 10 mins and after that they start bangning pretty normally. So I'm just wondering that can cold weather do any harm to subwoofers?
LoudBimmer Posted December 17, 2009 Report Posted December 17, 2009 ummm YES, wait for your car to warm up, dont jump in it and turn your music up. Everything freezes, and then cracks. simple.
S15_Silvia Posted December 17, 2009 Report Posted December 17, 2009 I can see the cold stiffening up the spiders and surround, making it harder for them to move. Other than that I don't see what effect the cold would have, maybe if it's really cold the cone could become brittle depending what it's made of. 2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix | On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said: 3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man. My feedback thread
Nightshade Posted December 17, 2009 Report Posted December 17, 2009 This has been asked and answered several times before. Just use the search function here on the forum to search for cold weather and subs or something like that. There's no need to start another topic on it since there's pleanty of info in others. 2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo 1 Sundown Audio SCV2000 1 Sundown Audio X15 V2 1 XS Power D3100 Audio Control LC6i Stock Deck 146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz 2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore ChampionHighest NSPL Scores to date:154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz
xanoreita Posted December 17, 2009 Author Report Posted December 17, 2009 heh, sorry my lazyness I'll try to remember to use search in future. and thanks for the answers.
dwz Posted December 19, 2009 Report Posted December 19, 2009 I blew a Type-R bumping it right away to some Lil Wayne without letting the amp and coils to warm up. Now I let it warm up and since I usually have the seats down I let the hot air blast towards the box which makes em nice and toasty as opposed to having the seats down and the trunk area never really heating up.
Guest Posted December 19, 2009 Report Posted December 19, 2009 I blew a Type-R bumping it right away to some Lil Wayne without letting the amp and coils to warm up. Now I let it warm up and since I usually have the seats down I let the hot air blast towards the box which makes em nice and toasty as opposed to having the seats down and the trunk area never really heating up. i dont know how you blow a type R from cold...i can see the spiders or surround tearing or something but not blowing. i have one and i bang it in cold weather, low sub volume for a song or two then i turn it up.
TheSundownFire Posted December 20, 2009 Report Posted December 20, 2009 Low temperatures cause a drop in the resistance of copper. So I could see you burning some MOSFETS if its cold enough. 1999 Pontiac Sunfire Alpine CDA-9886 Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D Sundown Audio SAX-50.4 Rainbow SAC 265.25 Components Image Dynamics iD12 Optima Yellow Top SQFire FTW.
The Performer Posted December 20, 2009 Report Posted December 20, 2009 Resistance of your coils always drops as you start warming the coils up. That's always a possibility. At cold weather you're coils don't want to fluctuate resistances properly until they are fully warmed up. Another major thing to consider is that as it's colder atoms move slower. Soundwaves should move slower correct? And along with that would lose potential sooner and without traveling as far. CERTIFIED BITCHES!!! Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks' Click to see my build! Proud DC owner
treossi Posted December 20, 2009 Report Posted December 20, 2009 it's probably more the amps being cold than the subs Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.