Sonic Electronix

How does your car ride with a wall or other huge box?

in the back the exploder i had around 1500-1800 extra pounds of batteries wood, wire, subs, amps all that shit and it was noticeably different even with helper springs in there was still to much weight

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Got around 400-500lbs in the back of my 4door blazer and it was beginning to squat too bad to the point I was gonna need new leafs (or more of them) I put air bags on the back to help with weight....my truck now rides firmer (rode like a 91 caddy with bad shocks before the bags) and sits at stock height...before I was riding on the bump stops alot....

HPIM0445.jpg

airbags002.jpg

HPIM0446.jpg

airbags004.jpg

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

A little lower in the back :D .

J/K, its really not that bad, my PT is lowered on H&R suspension, and was 1/2 inch higher in the back vs the front anyway, so I guess it's pretty level now. If you have ever noticed the difference in your car when you drive it with a few friends inside vs empty, it's comparable.

Keep in mind, your rear seats that you remove also help. Mine weighed in at 111 lbs.

**EDIT and ditto on what Steve said above, make sure it's bolted down to the floor! This is not that hard to do at all. I used the threaded holes already there from where the rear seats bolted down.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

01 ss monte on 20's

i have a wall in the back with 2 18s,battery n amps in the back in an amp rack.

made it sit real nice on my 20s,still feels the same when i drive,though i dont hit corners fast or anything

2001 Black Monte Carlo SS chrome 20''

(1) Alpine i-9881 deck-ipod-

(2) DC lvl 4XL 18''s-Walled-

(1) DAT Hellfire - 2500.1-fused-

(1) D3400 XS Power battery-fused-

(2) CDT 6.5 comp

(X) pioneer 6x9 set

(1) RF T-400.4

(1) DC POWER ALT INSTALLED BY ROB FTW,Big3

(1) Viper 5901 Alarm + killer yorkies and chihuahas

[EdgarCervantes] 4:31 pm: im in my room and out of nowere i hear bass im like oh shit sombody has

bass in this city, i look out the window and its my mom bumping Gorilla Zoe

Once my subs come in i'll have around 500-550 pounds in the back of my mustang ...it's a very different riding experience...my suspension is handling it fine though...just be careful going around corners because the ass end likes to drift a bit!

My POS Bass machine-
2003 Hyundai Santa Fe on some shitty 22's
Bed Liner Paint Job-Pioneer AVH 3200DVD
4 DAD BD series 15's in a 4th Order (Bassheads ENT Design)
4 Arc Audio XDI2000.1 for the woofers
6 Cadence CVL68MBX 6.5's-Cadence CVL88MBX 8's-6 Cadence XT20 Supertweeters
2 Arc Audio KS300.4's for mids and tweets
1 Arc Audio ALD 10v Line Driver
All Audiotechnix Power wire
1 DC Power 270XP High Output Alternator
1 XS Power D3400 up front....6 XS Power D3100's in the rear
Air Lift 1000 Bags in rear to help with suspension
If your still reading this GFY.......

6iW2jaE_zpsb3084721.png

That air ride suspension is great. I have a Burban with about 600 pounds in the rear and have that same bags. It rides so much better. Also when adding so much weight, its NEVER a bad idea to upgrade your braking system. Your adding pounds to a system that wasnt designed to carry the weight on a permanent basis.

LOUDEST PHUKN BURB N LA COUNTY!!!!

Team SoCal SPL

Team Sundown

I put close to 800 pounds in the back of a Hyundai Getz with stock suspension. Lost the weight of the back seat but that's not huge in these cars.

It sat about 1/4" off the bumpstops, any little bump would make it go thump. Acceleration - while originally poor, was now almost non-existant. Going uphill you virtually have to get out and push or get your Fred Flintstone going on.

Handling wasn't too bad, being a bit lower and a lot firmer made it wallow around less.

Stopping is my nightmare. The brakes appear to have been sneakily replaced with pieces of sponge while I was installing the gear in the back.

This car has taught me a lot about the practical considerations of large systems in small vehicles. I think my next big system will go in something huge like a Nissan Patrol.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

if you plan on going big just make sure its bolted down, your tires are inflated properly and you be careful......no more hanging corners and whipping donuts in the parking lot type stuff :D

1st I must say wow to all the comments, great feedback, ya'll make me feel MORE comfortable with a bigger system for sure.

My concern comes from little people (kids) that will be riding with me, I don't want to jeopardize there safety just to have a big(ish) system. I don't want to roll over, or anything like that.

I'm an old fart so I don't do the whole donut thing, but I'm on the freeway A LOT, and I wanted to know if the feel and handle of my van would be unchanged. Acceleration is not a big deal, and the brakes and rear weight issues are easily solvable.

If you'd like tell me about your freeway experience. Is it basically the same?

On a different note, I have been a long time member of CA.com (since 2005) and have loved cars with bass since I was 13, (waaaay back in the 70's:O). This place seems to have a mature, reasonable audience, who are not so prone to flame, and talk crap, I personally H A T E THAT. Also I appreciate all the budget systems here. It is nice to see the big name brand stuff, but I have yet to read a thread flaming someone who is doing a multisub setup on cheaper subs. I have only read help and encouragement.

On my part as a member here, I promise to always search 1st, (here and on google) not participate in flames or crap talking. I'm not a spammer, and I'm not interested in high post counts. Thanks gentlemen, this site is MUCH appreciated.