Let's talk Air compressors/air tools

ok I'm in the market for an air compressor for home. Not looking to spend 2 grand on some snap on or MAC compressor. just something solid sturdy and dependable for running air ratchets air saws and for brad nailing(going to start using brads to hold boxes together for speed reasons). Basically things like that. Would also like to get into a little painting with it if possible. Whats a good compressor to look into in the sub 400 dollar range? anything to look into? I know they have different hp motors gallons and psi ratings. I'm usually a fan of more psi hp etc the better but im not sure in this case.

also you guys who use nailers for boxes. What size brads are you using and what gun.

this predrilling and countersinking stuff gets old fast. lol

been looking at these three

http://www.lowes.com/pd_102750-1126-VT6275...098_4294937087_

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221495-14989-LLA16...098_4294937087_

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221565-14989-LLA37...564_4294937087_

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

One thing I would look into is CFM, ratings. They will make or break a lot of projects. Many paint guns require 10ish CFM, (depends on the model.) Also, many air tools are rated by CFM. I personally wouldn't buy the 30 gallon. You will quickly find, it's better off to spend the extra dough and buy a bigger compressor you can grow into. I have a 30 gallon and it sucks. I have to wait for it to fill up even with a brad nailer and it blows. My opinion would be go for the CH 60 Gallon CH 60 Gallon I can't offer an opinion based on the quality/life of the Kobalt, but its specs are nice. 11+ CFM at 90 psi is a seller. I have personally owned many CH tools, and haven't have many problems, not that I'm speaking for everyone, but I'd search internet reviews of the Kobalt, and if they look good, go with it. Definitely can't go wrong.

Anyways just my .002 cents (Been adjusted for inflation)

~John~

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

thanks for your input. IF i had to pick between the 30 and 60s and the price difference was minimal im getting the bigger one.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

I'm not really knowledgeable on compressors... the only tip I can say is make sure you have the proper wiring available in your garage if you get a 220 compressor...

As for using brads to hold boxes together... never really tried it... I've always uses staples. Make sure you don't skimp out on a stapler/nailer. We have a couple shitty harbor freight ones at work laying around, and they don't work worth a damn and don't put the staples in all the way half the time. I however use one of these, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5...catalogId=10053 . It will shoot 1/2" to 1 1/2" staples. I use 1 1/2" staples for boxes and it works great :) hope that helps some.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

ok I'm in the market for an air compressor for home. Not looking to spend 2 grand on some snap on or MAC compressor. just something solid sturdy and dependable for running air ratchets air saws and for brad nailing(going to start using brads to hold boxes together for speed reasons). Basically things like that. Would also like to get into a little painting with it if possible. Whats a good compressor to look into in the sub 400 dollar range? anything to look into? I know they have different hp motors gallons and psi ratings. I'm usually a fan of more psi hp etc the better but im not sure in this case.

also you guys who use nailers for boxes. What size brads are you using and what gun.

this predrilling and countersinking stuff gets old fast. lol

been looking at these three

http://www.lowes.com/pd_102750-1126-VT6275...098_4294937087_

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221495-14989-LLA16...098_4294937087_

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221565-14989-LLA37...564_4294937087_

all three of these compressors say that they are twin cylinder " double lung". this is the biggest factor in air compressors. the more pistons compressing air at the same time the better. the only real differance is the tank capacity. the bigger the better.

Another tid bit of input I have. If you haven't used brads for putting a box together they work great. Last box I put together, I used a shit ton of glue and brads to hold the pieces so they didn't move. I wouldn't use them solely to put the box together though, especially a big ass box, lol. I can vouch for cheapo brad nailers. I also used a Harbor Frieght one and I was constantly tryin to put the brads in the rest of the way with a hammer. Doesn't work.

I completely agree on the $30 price difference and going with the bigger compressor. You will be glad when its over and done with. I think you will be very happy with the 60 gal over a small 30. The only problems I see is having to buy about 3 buddys a few beers for helpin' unload the heavy S.O.B.

Also don't expect it to be quiet, as it won't be. Just in case you didn't know.

Edited by Wastehog

i love my porter-cable finish nailer. it shoots up to 2 1/2" nails.

1997 Astro

front:6 sets of T3 componets

Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP)

Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K)

Batts:

Alt: Ohio Generator

1996 Chevy Suburban

Sub amp: A fifth really big amp

Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL

Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)

ive got 220 in the basement for my dryer. If I need to use it the wife will have to do with out for a few minutes lol. Pretty sure its dual outlet though just haven;t looked. Appreciate the input guys. I guess I can stop fighting it and actually pick one up.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

As things go around here, you know we are all pic whores, so when you get it, POST PICS!! :D I want pictures of the delivery, unpacking, install and it being used. :P But really, you don't have to but I think you should so we can share in your excitement. We all know getting new tools is fun.

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna bump this cause I too am looking for a decent air compressor. Off the bat, I don't have $400 to spend on one so I'm okay with going down to a smaller gallon capacity unit. What is the difference between an oil lubricant unit and an oil-less one? I just want one that will allow for an nailer, inflate tires, and maybe an air wrench set. Not looking to paint my house or cars with the thing.

So what about these for a beginner with air tools

Kobalt 5.5 Gallon

Porter Cable 6 Gallon

I'm also looking up AC's on craigslist too, so if I do happen to run across a great 30 or 60 gallon used compress for under $250 I'll probably pick that up instead of these smaller units.

Edited by pervitizm

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....