Z-5500 Sub replacement

So, Im tired of the way the stock z-5500 sub sounds. Its too boomy and doesnt sound good to me. Im considering taking the plate amp off the back and building a new enclosure with a new sub. Anyone got any sub recommendations? Id like to go with a 12 or 15.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

• 2 weeks later...

If the sub has enough output but is just too boomy, you can first try to adjust the enclosure. Thiscan make a huge difference and not cost you very much. Take the enclosure apart and line it the interior walls with 1/2" acoustic foam. then lightly stuff the interior with pollyfill. tune it a little lower by lenghtening the port or reducing its diameter. These little changes should help. If that doesnt do it you can replace the woofer, but at that point you might be spending more than it's worth.

Check out my caraudio builds.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/72104-scary-truck-rebuild/

Check out our Custom Home Theater builds @

www.SoundAdviceUtah.com

• 2 weeks later...

The placement of it in your room makes a big difference. Having the sub under my desk it sounds boom and shitty. But if I stand on the other side of the room, the sub does alright going down to 28hz. So maybe you should try putting the sub on the other side. Also, you can try and extend the port so it will lower the tuning since it`s tuned around 45-50hz.

Mids/Highs: stock Bang & Olufsen

Lows: Image Dynamics IDMax 12v.3

Power: Sony Xplod XM-D9001GTR:Knukonceptz 4 gauge

Box: 1.75 cu/ft Sealed

Past: Pioneer Premier TS-W1207 (2)/ Rockford Fosgate P210/ Image Dynamics ID10V.3/ Infinity Reference 311A/ Audiopipe AP-18001D

• 3 weeks later...

The placement of it in your room makes a big difference. Having the sub under my desk it sounds boom and shitty. But if I stand on the other side of the room, the sub does alright going down to 28hz.

A good way to find good placement is to put the sub in your seating position, then crawl around on the floor and find where the bass sounds best. Wherever that place is, is the best place to put the sub.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

Archived