Sonic Electronix

sooo folks.

i'm actually working on a build now, well, its in the "plan" process currently.

well, I already know if I want to do something that will shake the pavement 3 blocks down im gonna need some serious power and some serious subs, right?

well, I was thinking 6 BTL 18s and 3 SAZ 3500Ds (double the wattage after I get the ability to do that)

and 4 Kinetik 3100s, and 2 DC Power 270a alts.

its a 1997 Chevy Suburban with the Vortec 5.7 (I like the chevy ones more, not a big fan of the colored grill GMC version, plus the one i ended up buying doesnt have barn doors, has the clamshell doors (I hate barn door burbans, not to the point where I wont drive em, I just dont like having a bar in the middle of my rear view)

I know I could pull off some Meade-styled amp hiding,

but heres the problem, the box design currently looks like its gonna weigh damn near 800 pounds.

How the hell am I gonna move that??

would there happen to be a few big guys from the SMD forums that live near South bend IN?

second question, how do you wire additional alts in?

i've never done it before, I know i'd need a bracket, is there a way to change the relay in the alt so I can get 18.8 coming out of it? cus I want to run the Sundowns on an 18V system that is completely seperate from the car's electronic system.

I was considering doing a big ole 4x6x3 (in feet of course folks) box with triple thick walls, would that be enough air for BTLs?

or am I better off just walling it?

and can I do 6 18s in a burban behind the second row?

cus I dont wanna loose them seats, just want a huge box that wont make me take them seats out. cus I plan on going down to Atlantic Beach this summer to hang out with my homies down there (not just go down to take advantage of the proximity to the ocean)

and are there any other upgrades I should probably do to the burban?

i've got 10,000 for this build, thats 3,000 for subs, 3,000 for amps, 1,000 for batteries, and the rest on the power system & additional upgrades.

might double up on budget near august, add another 3,000 to amps, 1,000 on highs, maybe spread the rest over other things, paint, rims, etc etc.

damn it audio your so pricey.

well, heres the TL;DR version

1. what needs to be done to install additonal alts besides brackets?

2. what other upgrades should be done to this car to benefit to the build?

3. should 4'x6'x3' with 3x mdf75 walls be big enough for 6 BTL 18s? or will it not be big enough?

4. what HU should I go with to benefit both my SQ love and not-skip-beyond-belief-because-of-bass ability?

5. how should I do my doors up? ~ was thinking 3 mids, 3 tweets, 1 sub in the front, 3 mids, 3 tweets in the rear doors

6. who makes good mids & tweets?

7. what subs would be good for the doors? ~ dont want my glassed panels sticking out too far!

8. what rims would look badass on a suburban that wouldnt run me more than 3000?

9. what kind of numbers should I hope for / expect from 6 18" BTLs on 3 3500ds with a stable 18v power system?

10. what camera do you suggest I look into buying? no real budget there, just make it something you would buy, not something that costs 3 million dollars, feel me? lol

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

If you have to ask, go smaller.

Camera, get something like a Canon or Sony.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

If you have to ask, go smaller.

This times 1000. If you have the money to blow, look into this a little bit more. Reinforce your knowledge on everything, and build up from there. Starting off with ordering 6-Fi BTLs and 3 Saz-3500ds sounds like a good idea to no one except for the dealers. According to what you are saying, if you do it right, you'd be blown away by 1/3 of your planned cone area in the correct application. And the only question i will take a stab at; 4. Set $200.00 aside for a nice iPod and find a head unit that is either auxiliary or usb capable, therefore you will never worry about skips. Or stashing 137463 cd's. B)

Edited by Cashdollar2009

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

This times 1000. If you have the money to blow, look into this a little bit more. Reinforce your knowledge on everything, and build up from there. Starting off with ordering 6-Fi BTLs and 3 Saz-3500ds sounds like a good idea to no one except for the dealers. According to what you are saying, if you do it right, you'd be blown away by 1/3 of your planned cone area in the correct application. And the only question i will take a stab at; 4. Set $200.00 aside for a nice iPod and find a head unit that is either auxiliary or usb capable, therefore you will never worry about skips. Or stashing 137463 cd's. B)

I was looking at the Pioneer 7200, was probably gonna buy one of them.

one of the reasons I wanna go so big is because I want bragging rights on the loudest in the area.

I've done systems before and all, i just havent been able to find much info on installing alts.

im already used to low 150s, I want to do something that I can actually go to a competition with.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

I was looking at the Pioneer 7200, was probably gonna buy one of them.

one of the reasons I wanna go so big is because I want bragging rights on the loudest in the area.

I've done systems before and all, i just havent been able to find much info on installing alts.

im already used to low 150s, I want to do something that I can actually go to a competition with.

Shit dude.... not another one of these threads.

I mean hell... what's your job right now?

And already used to low 150s, errr, what. Pics, vids of this 150s vehicle you're rolling around in? I own a 150dB daily driver and I'm not 'used' to it.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Just to power that setup properly will set you back $3500 -$4000 easily if you plan to use 6 SAZ 3500's in the future. 2 G's for a quad alt setup, 1 G for a battery bank of cheap batteries add $1000 if you want something like XS power. Then the cabling, fusing, buss bars, terminals etc. There is almost half your funds right there and this is where you should start to be honest. No sense in buying subs, amps and building anything until the platform for your build is setup. I found this out doing the build Im doing right now so Im just telling you what I just learned. Im only running 1/3 the wattage your planning on running too.

I wound up pulling out stuff I installed previously to add bigger better electrical that would handle what I wanted to do. Now I'll have enough juice to power my setup easily and have room left to upgrade when its time to do it.

Why not 4 18's to start out with and 2 SAZ4500(orSAZ3500) and 2 alternators and make sure you're fine with the electrical, before adding extra amps.

You should also need money to buy mids and highs and amps to power them.

I think with the amount of things you want (6 18 inch BTL'S and 3SAZ3500's), you're not going to be able to pay it with 10k $.

4 18's and 9000+ watts will be more then enough to shake some blocks.( if you build a good box for them)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

800 pounds ... forklift ... or Birch ...

thatstill aint gonna be light in birch. lighter yes but its 400-600 lbs instead of 800 plus. These are my favorite posts.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.