DC Sound Lab

WTF happened to my tinsel lead???

recone it in the future, i had the same problem with my level 5's both of them, quick fix was just soldering the speaker wire to the terminal where it broke then i glued it to the spider and basket leaving slack for excursion, it worked but would still break from time to time

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

recone it in the future, i had the same problem with my level 5's both of them, quick fix was just soldering the speaker wire to the terminal where it broke then i glued it to the spider and basket leaving slack for excursion, it worked but would still break from time to time

Okay I see. Well I feel a little better now knowing that this has happened to a few other people and not just me. Thanks for the responses everyone!

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

lol I'm with you Clay. Never lost a tinsel connection. I have however pulled it from the spider where its sewn down. Too much excuuuursion! lol

OP Does the coil still read? If so tape up the frayed wire real good. You only need 1 tinsel lead to keep playing. Think of the second lead as added insurance. :)

Edited by thorshammer

i'd probably cut it, solder it back and finish it with a piece of heatshrink

SKAR_468x60.jpg

1998 Nissan 200sx

NOW:

Dex-p98r head

Planet Audio 300.4 mids and highs

Planet Audio/Pioneer tweeters/crossovers

Skar SK1500.1

3 SKAR Vvx15 dual 4 wired at .63

I have 3 level 4s in this same condition that I have aquired from people that say they'll give me the money to fix them but never do lol so I've scored 3 level 4 motors because of this :)

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

it happened to both of my level 4 15's.

both were underpowered.

mine had serious signs that the lead was slapping the cone too. maybe they sew too much tinsel onto the spider?

edit**

and oh yea, i never was able to fix it. i tried resoldering it, but the soldered connection always broke. maybe tape all of the wires back together and shrink wrap it up.

it might hold for just a bit longer, but start saving your money for the impending recone

Edited by J00bles

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

lol I'm with you Clay. Never lost a tinsel connection. I have however pulled it from the spider where its sewn down. Too much excuuuursion! lol

OP Does the coil still read? If so tape up the frayed wire real good. You only need 1 tinsel lead to keep playing. Think of the second lead as added insurance. :)

Yeah the coils still read. I just built a new box for it and was switching when i noticed it. I taped it up pretty good, and it still plays the same as it did on day one. It wasn't necessarily the most polite break in i suppose, but i always slowed down when the dustcap was getting warm. Thank goodness you hooked me up with the extra tinsels! I'm just going to go easy on it after tuning until the competition and see what happens there. The stitching to the spider came off so they must have been slapping. The other side is still secured just fine.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

• 1 month later...

Yeah the coils still read. I just built a new box for it and was switching when i noticed it. I taped it up pretty good, and it still plays the same as it did on day one. It wasn't necessarily the most polite break in i suppose, but i always slowed down when the dustcap was getting warm. Thank goodness you hooked me up with the extra tinsels! I'm just going to go easy on it after tuning until the competition and see what happens there. The stitching to the spider came off so they must have been slapping. The other side is still secured just fine.

i have had the same uraveling issue with the three xl i have..my 12 is just blown apart and my amps set with a scope and dont beat on it its only 1 k!!!????..looking like there is a lead issue here either to short or something.my lvl 3 15 which i have soldered twice.just broke because the leads to short and when the cones moves it breaks the joint...is this goin to be a recurring issue..i never had this issue with any of the hundreds of woofers i have used?????

JAMES SAID..

you dont need 1500 for a WOOFER people just love overpowering rather then building for the power recommended

THATS A SMART GUY...