Yo guys. I have a 1998 Ford Expedition with the 4.6 Triton V8. The same motor that are in Crown Vics and shit, only with a different intake manifold. I'm basically looking to get some more horsepower because right now, this thing is a pooch. It's always in and out of overdrive and honestly the gas mileage straight up sucks. I never get more than 8 anywhere.

So in an attempt to get better gas mileage and a little more jolt behind it, I'm looking at ways to upgrade this thing. Any ideas? I was thinking a chip and tune but I really don't know how much of a difference that will make.

2003 Ford Crown Victoria P71

2 12" Kicker CVX's

Audiopipe AP15001d

Stinger SR80 Isolator with DieHard 1200CCA battery

Streetwires 0awg

Secondary - 1998 Ford Expedition XLT

Get an intake and exhaust to start with. Just keep a realistic mind that you are not going to get a ton of power out of that engine without putting some $$$$ into it. After you get the intake and exhaust you can either get a custom tune or just go with a Superchips Tuner or maybe a HyperTech Tuner. They are not that expensive, but can give you pretty good gains for the money.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

I say custom tune first. That alone can improve throttle response, the power curve, and maybe gas mileage. Only thing is, if you add more later (exhaust, intake, etc), you will need to do the tune again. Pay someone to do your tune at a shop with a dyno. Try to stay away from generic 'vehicle-specific' tunes.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Your only limited by your budget but camshaft ,heads , headers, intake are quick and easy replacements. Here are the 4.6L items on summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=4.6l&dds=1

Wouldn't really call those quick and easy for most people.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

custom tune.

Hands down best bang for the buck

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

custom tune.

Hands down best bang for the buck

That's what I was thinking. Because my only regret with buying this Expedition is the fact that it has the 4.6... If it had the 5.4 I wouldn't be complaining. Was hoping to do a few performance mods to bump up the HP but a used 5.4 is about $1200 around here so if it gets to the point where I would need to put that much money into it just in upgrades, I might as well just buy the motor. I can swap it myself.

Basically looking to be around 255-265 HP from my current 215-220. Shouldn't be too hard of a task in my opinion. Tune should really do the trick.

Edited by abaddon

2003 Ford Crown Victoria P71

2 12" Kicker CVX's

Audiopipe AP15001d

Stinger SR80 Isolator with DieHard 1200CCA battery

Streetwires 0awg

Secondary - 1998 Ford Expedition XLT