Are businesses just plain stupid? Cheap? Or both?

I have to get this off my chest because it's so funny to hear people bitch and moan about their internet being down yet they don't take a proactive approach in avoiding it. So I work tech support for an ISP and we cater to mostly small businesses and large enterprise accounts. It's funny to hear people bitch about the internet being down (which is understandable) but to take it to whole new level by mentioning how much money they are losing. "I'm losing x amount of dollars every day." "I'm losing millions of dollars because my line is down." And so on.

This is where I'm polite in my response but yet kindly tell them they are an idiot. My response is.......... "I'll be glad to help you move your network over to your backup connection." That's where you here the stutter or the long pause before they say they don't have one. So I say, "Well if you rely on the connection to generate revenue then you should look into getting a backup connection so you can move over to that line if this line ever goes down." Call ends there because what can they say?

If I was relying on the internet to generate revenue I damn sure would have a backup connection through a different provider in case one goes down. And I wouldn't be relying an $60 a month adsl line, I'd have me a t1 line or even a bonded t1 line in case one line fails.

So are people really that stupid or are they just cheap and don't want to splurge for a 2nd line?

To be honest, I have never heard of using a backup line. And I am sure alot of people running their own businesses havent thought of that either.

Unless you are an I.T. person or have experience with it, its not really common knowledge. So dont be mad, you cant blame anybody. Just let them know that they can do this.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

You do know that a business line cost more than a residential line CORRECT? So your asking someone with a business to pay for 2 lines at a higher cost than someone that doesn't have a business to pay and than complain cause they lost internet YOUR company provides these businesses with.

BTW: What if the node goes down? What if they decide to do maintenance on the line shutting it down for a time? Where would the 2nd line come it to play here that isn't affected by the first line, since they would both come from the same point of connection.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Honestly I think we as humans rely on the internet too much, including me. We rely on the internet to do everything and our lines are up the majority of the time and sometimes people have no problems at all and sometimes people get a messed up line from the start and having nothing but problems. So when we lose our email, pr0n, illegal downloading, myspace, etc. we go nuts.

I got 2 T-1 lines and 3 backups :P cause thats how I roll :good:

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

You do know that a business line cost more than a residential line CORRECT? So your asking someone with a business to pay for 2 lines at a higher cost than someone that doesn't have a business to pay and than complain cause they lost internet YOUR company provides these businesses with.

BTW: What if the node goes down? What if they decide to do maintenance on the line shutting it down for a time? Where would the 2nd line come it to play here that isn't affected by the first line, since they would both come from the same point of connection.

We are an ISP, not the carrier itself. So when you order internet from an ISP, there are different carriers to chose from. Local telephone company, Covad, XO, Verizon, cable, etc. We'll order the internet line from the carrier and provide you with email, web hosting, ip addresses, support etc. So you can still order a 2nd line with us but with a different carrier so if one has an outage, you have that 2nd line to back you up. And we even tell customers the 2nd line doesn't have to be with us. Go with whoever you want but if you are going to rely on it so heavily you should have that backup connection.

As far as cost goes, you just made my point. Paying more money for a 2nd line should not be a problem. If you only have one line and goes down, how much money are you generating then?

I got 2 T-1 lines and 3 backups :P cause thats how I roll :good:

dont make me dig up the datacenter specs buddy :drinks:

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Your internets shouldn't ever go down, and if they (it) do (does).. YOU (aka the business) should be getting paid. You're paying them (the isp, you) to have internets.

This.

/thread

[HOONIGAN]*

'01 Ford F-250 LWB
JVC KD-R950BT / Alpine MRV-M500 / (2) SWA-10s4