Sonic Electronix

Biggest Car Audio Mistakes?

My BIGGEST mistake was buying all new gear after being out of the "car audio loop" for ten years....without researching!! I assumed what was "good" then, was still good. Not the case at all......so, I ended up selling almost everything and starting over. It's crazy how quality changes and things evolve over the years, including the level of knowledge in some of the young guys.....well those who dont have thier heads up thier asses anyway. There is always something new to learn!

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

When I was young grasshoppah ,listening to the Crutchfield kid tell me "sure, it's ok to leave the radio wires hooked up to the door speakers along with the wires from the separate amp"

Many thanks you bastard.

• pa-pa-platypus

• sorry not everybody has a companies nuts so far down their throat they catch every drop ball sweat when it falls

Biggest mistake was listening to ocbish tell me that a lvl 4 15 he had only needed a recone then when I got it the pole vent was shifted all the way over but thank god for thorshammer for being a cool ass dude he fixed it like it was nothing

NEW

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ

2 XS Power D3400

Kicker HyperFlex 1/0

Soundstream Vir 7870bt

OLD

2010 Jeep Patriot

2 Murdered Out Black DC LVL 4 15s With XL Recones(with 1 extra spider pack a piece)

1 Crescendo BC 3500

1 MB Quart 60.4

1 Set RF T1 6x9s Up Front

1 XS Power D3400(Front)

1 XS Power D3400(Back)

2 runs of 1/0 Kicker Hyperflex

SoundStream Vir 7870bt

Fat Mat Rattle Trap Xtreme

[www.youtube.com/tntravelers33]

FEEDBACK

Biggest mistake was listening to ocbish tell me that a lvl 4 15 he had only needed a recone then when I got it the pole vent was shifted all the way over but thank god for thorshammer for being a cool ass dude he fixed it like it was nothing

I remember seeing that, dude was a jack ass.

My biggest mistake was wiring a two channel to 2 ohm load and totally forgetting you shouldnt do that, amp fuses go boom haha and like everyone is saying, the price to doing everything "right".

Team NWSPLUPCOMING BUILD (when I afford it)

2013 Ford Focus Hatch

2x DC lv3 15s

2x b2 quotas

XS batts

DC power alt

That amp would fuck the shit out of those subs. It would roofie them, knock them out with chloroform, then make sweet, gentle, anal love to them all night.

I used to think that a port was just a hole in a box. So out comes the 1 inch drill bit and 5 holes later - sounds like crap. I didnt learn about tuning points till later hahaaha

Not understanding what a relay was. = Major Fail.

Forgot a fuse on a switch once. Worked for a loooong time- until a re-do much later (when I knew better) and somehow shorted the wire (with unknown missing fuse). Wire gets cherry hot, melts the rest of the shielding, smoke, melted shielding on my hands as I RIP out the wire. I Got Lucky on that one.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

i think a couple of mine were : hooking up 1000w amp with 8 awg...... melted the fuse holder and burnt the wire into dust..... got zapped by idk how many batteries from the damn ratchet hitting the frame or neg post , had 2 12s in a bed of my old f150 (with a cap) forgot to secure the box and when i took off onto the highway onramp the box slid and ripped out the wires. i pulled over and didnt shut anything off and grabbed both pos n neg speaker terminals in my hand. that hurt just a tad lol. ( was a very bassy song)

ha i look back and laugh at it now though.

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

• 3 months later...

mounting my amp on the back of my sub box, the wires were really tight so if the sub box moved it would rip the wires out of the amp.. well one day my dad reefed on it not knowing it was so tight.. the little tips on the RCA's broke off inside my amp and made the stereo sound like garbage, bass was only 1/4 as loud as it used to be. i didn't figure out what happened for like a week before i checked it out.

Archived