SnowDrifter Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 Right... So I really like the sound of a sealed box, but I also really want to be able to pump gobs and gobs of power through my sub because of it's power handling... Is there anyway of lowering the fs of a soundstream xxx 15 to around 20 so I can get the thing in a sealed box? Honestly, weights? I am about ready to pull my hair out on this one, it's like unobtanium... Ugh... ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
BanginOnABudget Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 you cant lower the fs of a sub unless you go with a different motor and coil. im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire. Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block.... 1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr. Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt. Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos. Pioneer 6000ub Reciever NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon. MSG Me for a free enclosure design!! Flared port kits coming soon!!
NcHalfrican Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 IIRC, you can lower it by add weight to the moving mass. I've heard of fiberglassing the cone.
mlstrass Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 fiberglass resin on the backside of the cone would add mass...
Sampsonite Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 Fewer/weaker spiders, lighter soft parts I would pack your sealed box full of poly fill if you wanted to hit a little lower --Sampson 816-591-6592 www.kcrimshop.com
bobmcbob_345 Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 Fs is not what determines if a sub should be in a seald or ported box. You use vas and qts to determine it. Fs is the free air resonance of a speaker and in a box, this changes greatly. If you where talking about an infinite baffle set up, it could be usefull, but not in a standard enclosure
SnowDrifter Posted November 30, 2010 Author Report Posted November 30, 2010 http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpsubwooferclosed/efficiency_bandwidth_product_equation.php It was my understanding that a speakers EBP effects the reccomended box type. If EBP is Fs / Qes, and the ebp of a soundstream xxx 15 is 95 with the Fs at the normal 37.1hz, if I could lower it to 20hz, it would have an ebp of 48, which would make it suitable for a sealed box based off of Rockford Fosgate's box advisor. Is this incorrect then? The reason I am wondering is because a Soundstram XXX 15 is basically a ported-box only type speaker. I was wondering if I could get it in a sealed box and still have it sound decent. ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
OldsBoomer Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 The sub is not made for sealed boxes so i wouldn't put it in a seal box UNLESS you use passive radiators to tune it. why would you get this subs and want to seal it? Suburban Coming Soon
ryanFA5 Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 cut the spider off Lolz were had. 2010 Civic SI sedan: Crystal Black Pearl All stock.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.