99 grand cherokee wont start

maybe he's got a short or pinched wire somewhere along his stock wiring that is attached to his battery? that'b be a PAIN IN THE ASS to fix.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

He has already replaced the the battery and the starter this morning.

Educate me...how would a bad alternator cause the car not to start? Other than a bad alt not charging the battery, thus causing the car to not start. I dont understand how a bad alt would cause the car not to start.

I already called him and told him to have the new battery tested. But any other thoughts here?

does the jeep have a jump port? aka a remote positive. ? if so and your jumping from that check all main fuses and grounds/positives..

also a faulty alternator wont cause it not to start. what would happen is the ecu will see no voltage increase and slowly raise the idle to try and get it to charge.. it will still run.

its obd2 scan it.. and also check voltage at the ecu. get a pinout diagram online if your getting voltage to the ecu then you have a bad ground/power on the starter..

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

Well I have not heard form him about this since i posted it up so I am not going to waste any more of my time trying to help him get his truck up and running. If he does however call me about this again I will mention it to him. Thanks for the info guys.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

It's the starter. There's two wires coming off the starter, one a bolt on and one a clip. The clip needs replacing. I'll put money on the issue.

It's completely random, and he'll replace everything including the starter only to have it fail randomly.

Source: parent's jeep, friend's jeep, girlfriend's jeep, MY jeep. They all had this exact same issue. 99, 01, 05, 06.

Get the clip recrimped or replaced and clean the contacts for the starter wire to battery.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Sounds like a loose or damaged ground cable to me.... if the battery is fully charged and the starter works as it should (a quick test for that it to tap on the starter with a hammer... then try to start it)

a junk alt. would not keep the vehicle from starting if the battery has a good charge... Ive limped cars for miles with dead alternators before so that wouldnt keep it from starting UNLESS the battery didnt have enough juice to crank it over anymore...

Also test the new battery...

I would lean more towards a bad connection either at the cable (could be the terminal itself) or at the starter...

It may also have an ign. relay however that wouldnt explain why it would start while jumping...

If the battery checks out good... start checking the ground cables.

Also.. if you have a test light handy... get under the jeep and check for voltage at the signal wire at the starter when the key is in the "crank" position... since you are getting a click form the solenoid, i'm thinking your getting voltage there... but you never know.

O... and I would also tell him to stop listening to the guy at the parts store telling him he needs to buy this and buy that...

-Chris

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
3" Lift / 315/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs
Eclipse AVN6620 Touchscreen Head Unit
Hifonics BRX3016 - 3krms @ 1ohm
2 RE Auido SX 18s - 14.5^3ft net @ 30hz w/ 200^2in. port
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

Sounds like a loose or damaged ground cable to me.... if the battery is fully charged and the starter works as it should (a quick test for that it to tap on the starter with a hammer... then try to start it)

a junk alt. would not keep the vehicle from starting if the battery has a good charge... Ive limped cars for miles with dead alternators before so that wouldnt keep it from starting UNLESS the battery didnt have enough juice to crank it over anymore...

Also test the new battery...

I would lean more towards a bad connection either at the cable (could be the terminal itself) or at the starter...

It may also have an ign. relay however that wouldnt explain why it would start while jumping...

If the battery checks out good... start checking the ground cables.

Also.. if you have a test light handy... get under the jeep and check for voltage at the signal wire at the starter when the key is in the "crank" position... since you are getting a click form the solenoid, i'm thinking your getting voltage there... but you never know.

O... and I would also tell him to stop listening to the guy at the parts store telling him he needs to buy this and buy that...

-Chris

DO NOT HIT THE STARTER WITH A HAMMER.Do not use a test light to check to see if there is power at the signal wire,that light will light up with very little voltage,use a DMM .Alot of grand cherokees have this problem,usually when its really cold out.Replace the slide on terminal at the starter,if you bought a new starter it should have come with a stud and nut for the signal wire to connect to.If its just a rebuilt,then it may still have the slide on connector like the factory has.

Member of Team 808

Member of Team North East Spl

Thanks...might be working on this tomorrow. I will check that starter wire... sound like you guys know whats up.

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

My buddy said that when he tries to start it, all it does is go "click" once. He said when he gets a jump, that is starts right up.

d(-__-)b

Archived