SPL Gains!! Updates @page 30 (routing the port)

fecupe2001

This is the best single thread in the car audio world. I signed up for this site just to watch this.

Does anyone know if these type of gains will be consistant at any output level? Say you gain 2 tenths from the duct tape if you start at 140; would you gain the same at 150? 160?. Depending on time I may post some similar results. One of my friends has a wall with 4 15's. His best score has been 158. We would like to see 160 so perhaps some simple, cheap tweaks can get us there? He is testing duct-tape around the baskets and on pole vent today... we plan to test some rounding inside, then smoothing screw holes and a few other small things.

Also wondering how much of these "gains" are due to lowering impedence and getting more power from the amp? In retrospect clamped power numbers would have been useful. Perhaps do some impedence measurements for the next round.

OP, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

This is the best single thread in the car audio world. I signed up for this site just to watch this.

Does anyone know if these type of gains will be consistant at any output level? Say you gain 2 tenths from the duct tape if you start at 140; would you gain the same at 150? 160?. Depending on time I may post some similar results. One of my friends has a wall with 4 15's. His best score has been 158. We would like to see 160 so perhaps some simple, cheap tweaks can get us there? He is testing duct-tape around the baskets and on pole vent today... we plan to test some rounding inside, then smoothing screw holes and a few other small things.

Also wondering how much of these "gains" are due to lowering impedence and getting more power from the amp? In retrospect clamped power numbers would have been useful. Perhaps do some impedence measurements for the next round.

Excellent point.

I do believe that nothing is linear in this car audio world. But I've been wrong numerous times so don't trust me. LoL

Say you gain 0.2 going from 140.0-140.2 with duct tape, I think there are far too many other factors that take place to see the same linear gain trying to go from 160.0-160.2.

But then again it could work the total opposite and the placement of your duct tape fixed a major flaw that you were not aware of and you just gained 0.5. LoL

Only way to find out is to do it. :D

The golf ball texture thing...the only thing I can think of is use a type of clay that you can mold with dimples. Mythbusters did an episode where they did this clay technique on a car and it gained them like 4 mpg due to less air resistance. They were shocked. Only problem is I dont see how this wouldnt shrink your port, nor how well it might actually hold to the wood. I think lining a regular slot port with vinyl or resin may net you close to the same results. That being said, there is a company that offers aeros just like this.

How about just drilling some holes wit the tip of a drill bit, and then resin over?

lol this list is awesome! a lot of this stuff is random but works! I'm up 2 db because of it

hehe thanks a lot man, glad this topic helps you out, there will be more updates eventually, not right tho, i´m busy working on the sexplorer for a show :)

Ya veo en que has estado ocupado ramera! lo peor es que no has soltado nada!!

como que no he soltado nada animal? siempre que hago una prueba te dio los resultados por blackberry ezztupida

jaja, primera vez que miro alguien hablar como llo con mis amigos/familia aqui en SMD.

A toda madre, Y sigele con las pruebas que estan bien interesantes!!!

There's others ways to dimple u create a grid pattern then use a countersink bit in the wood I have a trick I'm going to try will let you guys know if it works

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

DC I actually thought about that. A hole bit for a router will actually work...I made some in a lacrosse stick/ball rack I made back in highschool. Problem is youd need to make the holes extremely smooth, and im not too sure how well it would work without sanding forever. Idk if it would ever be near worth it over just resin or vinyl to get a smooth surface. :shrug:

Thanks a lot man, i´m honored by those words, i´m glad this topic can help you and your buddy a little bit. I honestly don´t think the gains would be constant, maybe i gained 0.2 dbs using duct tape hitting a 140 and after 148 dbs it actually could hurt the score? who knows, like my boy pimpin said, only way is to test it out, this things gave some tenths on the TL using my application, maybe on yours it could hurt the score or even gain you a lot more than i got on mine :)

About the gains and impedance rise, well, i´m too fucking lazy to clamp everything before and after lol, and i actually don´t own a clamp meter right now to test this out, but i´m pretty sure lots of his things had lowered the impedance rise, don´t know wich one tho...

Excellent point.

I do believe that nothing is linear in this car audio world. But I've been wrong numerous times so don't trust me. LoL

Say you gain 0.2 going from 140.0-140.2 with duct tape, I think there are far too many other factors that take place to see the same linear gain trying to go from 160.0-160.2.

But then again it could work the total opposite and the placement of your duct tape fixed a major flaw that you were not aware of and you just gained 0.5. LoL

Only way to find out is to do it. :D

:werd_msword::clapping: jackpot!! I honestly would have loved to clamp everything before and after, but i didn´t , i guess it´s time for someone else to help me out on this topic, i´m actually kind of tired lol

The golf ball texture thing...the only thing I can think of is use a type of clay that you can mold with dimples. Mythbusters did an episode where they did this clay technique on a car and it gained them like 4 mpg due to less air resistance. They were shocked. Only problem is I dont see how this wouldnt shrink your port, nor how well it might actually hold to the wood. I think lining a regular slot port with vinyl or resin may net you close to the same results. That being said, there is a company that offers aeros just like this.

Wich company is that hommie? i´m really interested on trying this golf ball texture thing :)

How about just drilling some holes wit the tip of a drill bit, and then resin over?

That could do it, i have a box where i can try this :)

lol this list is awesome! a lot of this stuff is random but works! I'm up 2 db because of it

hehe thanks a lot man, glad this topic helps you out, there will be more updates eventually, not right tho, i´m busy working on the sexplorer for a show :)

Ya veo en que has estado ocupado ramera! lo peor es que no has soltado nada!!

como que no he soltado nada animal? siempre que hago una prueba te dio los resultados por blackberry ezztupida

jaja, primera vez que miro alguien hablar como llo con mis amigos/familia aqui en SMD.

A toda madre, Y sigele con las pruebas que estan bien interesantes!!!

Gracias mi pana, si ese es Johan un amigo venezolano que vive en Costa Rica, es un maricon de primera pero asi lo quiero jajaja, me alegro te guste el topic, pronto lo renuevo un poco :)

There's others ways to dimple u create a grid pattern then use a countersink bit in the wood I have a trick I'm going to try will let you guys know if it works

Post some pics in this topic my man, wanna try this out, so far, the drilling holes/resin them idea it´s the one i think i´m gonna try, looks easy hehe

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Looks good jorge, biggest problem for me is that i´m outside of the US, i recenty bought 4 6" aeros (3 weeks ago) , they were 120$ on the web page, i payed 220$ on shipping and taxes, 340$ on 4 6" aeros??? fuck that shit!!! i´ll never buy another fucking aero in my life unless i´m at the us , so, i can´t try those aeros, guess someone with a termlab could try a 4" regular aero vs that one!

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Archived