The official guns and stuff shoot the breeze thread

Loaded up some test rounds for the .454.

First row is 230gr plated. Just target practice stuff. Used accurate no5, though I might end up switching to longshot and adding a bit more powder. There's a fair bit of airspace in these.
Back row is some hornady stuff with h110. May have gone a little heavy on the crimp, we'll see. Erred on the side of a tight crimp because with 300gr bullets going down range at 1750fps, creeping out of the case is a real possibility.

Expecting a call any day now saying I can go pick it up... I need to sit down and stop twitching every time my phone buzzes.

FOTD843_zpsc1bedc61.jpg

not sure how the h110 will do out of a long barrel, but for magnum handgun rounds it's my favorite powder. In .357 h110 loaded behind a 110gr bullet in a 4" barrel makes for the best light show and concussion.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

From what I've read h110 and the 454 get along very well. Only caveat is it doesn't like to be light loaded. Kinda a high powder or nothing gig.

I'm trying to find something a bit lighter that I can comfortably shoot for target practice hah

I will never willingly hand in my guns I could care less what law they pass.

Molon labe

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Did some thinking..... Think I found a way around the huge case size of the .454 casull.

Seems cotton has been used with success with the rifle guys for light loads. Going to give that a try, will hold the powder against the primer so it doesn't fire across the top or get uneven ignition. Decided on cotton vs. polyester because I'm not too privy on putting what is essentially plastic into my guns at high temperatures

This should work in the short term until I can find some trail boss. It's a pretty bulky powder, should be able to fill the case and not shred my plated bullets

WP_20150805_005_zps21629d72.jpg

Chea finally picked this thing up. Love it, thing's VERY accurate. Grip is super comfortable too. Little on the heavy side but it doesn't really bother me.

Full power .454 casull loads are no joke. Shot off 24 of them and I was done with that.

WP_20150806_006_zps7cce7e12.jpg

Chea finally picked this thing up. Love it, thing's VERY accurate. Grip is super comfortable too. Little on the heavy side but it doesn't really bother me.

Full power .454 casull loads are no joke. Shot off 24 of them and I was done with that.

WP_20150806_006_zps7cce7e12.jpg

Nice revolver.

I shot a .454 about 10 years ago. I was at a range with a guy that I used to go shooting with, I only had my USP tactical at the time and he brought out his freedom arm revolver. We shot some bowling pins and that mother fucker sent them off the table with authority while my .45 just tossed them off. The round would penetrate completely through and leave splinters poking out of the hard rubber coating. He was one of those guys that didn't keep guns very long and always had something new and different. That planted a seed for one until the S&W .460 came out, I just can't justify that much horsepower for my application.

Archived