fiberglass mat and fiberglass cloth?

For me, it really is going to boil down to your specific application in which is going to differentiate cloth and mat. If applied correctly, one is just as strong as the other. Woven cloth, is designed for flat or slow radius applications. By this I mean, it is harder to do 90 degree turns with woven cloth. I have found mat is better suited for conforming to contours. If you have something like a mold, you would want to start with mat. You will lay down multiple layers of either one though.

Mat

Fiberglass mats make up most of a fiberglass body or kit. The strands of fiberglass in a mat are disorganized and can intermesh easily with the fibers of other mats, so they bond together. During construction, fiberglass mats are layered until the desired strength or thickness is achieved. Fiberglass mat has a higher density than fiberglass cloth.

Cloth

Fiberglass cloth is a layer of woven strands. It is strong, with a uniform appearance, and is used where the look of a project is important. The woven fibers do not intermesh with the fibers of other layers of fiberglass cloth.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

mat has strands going in every direction, known as chopped mat. cloth is bi axial. so it only has strands going 2 directions.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Would it be ok to use cloth for a speaker pod, I had left over mat from a previous project and it was a lot less messy think that would work ok ??

Would it be ok to use cloth for a speaker pod, I had left over mat from a previous project and it was a lot less messy think that would work ok ??

It really depends on your skill level...i prefer to use the cloth because it lays nice and flat and if your going to paint it..it will be easier to sand the bondo down....i normally use the chopped mat for inside the box to get the corners nice and strong.... if your using cloth cut some 2" by 6" peices and just layer it with out too much over lapping...make sure to get all the air bubbles out and do at least 3 layers alternating the placement...the first time someone kicks it you will be sorry if you dont

ah, teamht said everything i was too lazy to lol. :good:

you can use cloth on a pod but it will probably have a lot of sharp corners and contours so mat will be easier. plus, you dont want pods to resonate, they will sound like shit. make them like bricks.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.