Sonic Electronix

Woofer is smelling and getting hot

Im not really sure what the gain is on.A audio store down the street did it for me and they said they tuned it. Right now my head unit is stock that comes with a 2001 E320. Btw that audio store is the best around my area and they have been in many magazines so therefore it makes me feel alot better knowing that they did it.What should the gain and boost be on? and as far as the smell, it smells like metal mostly. And ill put my hand to the cone and its hot as shit. no lie.

Im not really sure what the gain is on.A audio store down the street did it for me and they said they tuned it. Right now my head unit is stock that comes with a 2001 E320. Btw that audio store is the best around my area and they have been in many magazines so therefore it makes me feel alot better knowing that they did it.What should the gain and boost be on? and as far as the smell, it smells like metal mostly. And ill put my hand to the cone and its hot as shit. no lie.

if its hot and smells i dont care what magazine there in, they did something wrong man. :shrug:

15"AA havoc, AQ1200d. T3 audio 6.5 2 way componet set on rockford p400.4

Well if the audio shop is so cool you should take it back and have them recheck it.

Or did someone play around with settings after they got it to get so much more bass...

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

im also curious as to what songs your playing. some songs you download on the intert clip like a mother fucker. so it could be set up right but the song could be clip to all hell.

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

Also, I would like to get information on the enclosure. OP?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

if it smells like metal then the coil is getting too hot...turn the boost OFF (I fucking hate those things...nothing but trouble) and retune the gains

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

The jbl puts out a bit more power, although the lvl 4 should handle it easily.

Turn bass boost down first, and if u want to be sure also turn you're gain down a bit(1/8th of a turn or something)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Hey guys, I have a lvl 4 with 5 parts and im running a jbl GTO14001. Before this amp, which i bought yesterday, i had a kicker z1000.1 and for the longest time when i would play low bass it would start to smell and get hot. Now with this new amp, after playing a low-medium bass song for about 5 mins, my entire car smells very weird and ill put my hand to the cone and it is very hot, like to the point where i have to quit touching it. Can anyone help me with this? thanks.

Great advice so far. I would also recommend putting a DVM to your coils, there may already be some damage.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

So it's blown already then?

I'd definitely take it back to the folks that "tuned it" for you. They seem to have effed it in the ayy.

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

Archived