Sonic Electronix

BTL 18 on (2) Sundown 3000's @ 2 ohm strapped playing music. Setup is able to break 153 dB at the headrest @ 39 Hz. The coil continues to live, burp after burp, demo after demo. If you don't know what you're doing, stuff is going to break.

1992 GMC Sonoma

2008 MECA S1 Champ, 2010 MECA S2 Champ

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is what forums are about. Good healthy debate. Sure, there's a little this and that going on, but the conversation has remained at a decent level of sanity.

Subscribed.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

You do not need a magnetron to create microwaves...

what is being said is that because the Korean Amps increase the switching frequency on it creates microwaves because the amplifier is switching at such a high speed it is same frequency of a microwave causing it to travel to the tinsel and fry them. If the Korean amps did not switch at such a high frequency to make more power than they should, this problem would not be present.

We know what is being said. We have heard this bullshit imaginary excuse before. While this may be good enough for some, I will not accept this in the name of science, common sense, and the will to pursue truth and stop individuals/manufacturers who provide products to to the free consumer market without the integtrity of accountability and responsibility.

Let us not forget, that the 100k frequency range is not considered microwave by any electrical engineers and you see how fast nick dropped his theory when he was called on it. It is those pesky flat tinsels that are suffering from induction heating!!!!! Sure... Let's discuss this further...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Induction_heating_of_bar.jpg

Just so you know, the tinsel is not the part receiving the induction heating, and again, microwaves are not being created in sufficient amount to cause the heating you are describing, otherwise you would be dead by now.

That said I agree on the baskets and lead slap issues.

You beat me to it. I love this guy! Pure and simple: Induction is the transferrance of energy through lines of electro-magnetic flux that are emulating AROUND a wire carrying current... This wire must be wound, bound, or wrapped around within a magnetically permeable object to heat it by way of these induced lines of magnetic energy. In the most effective cases, an AC voltage which has collapsing lines of flux due to phase reversal. Depending on the density of material and application, higher frequency is more effective. The tinsel is the wire carrying current. It is NOT a permeable core and does not apply to the induction theory. Strike two, Nick. Bring some better science next time.

It should be no big deal for you to jump to a new theory since you dropped the fake "microwaving" one so fast.

I like this VOPA guy.

I disagree with nick. You're blaming your parts failing on amplifiers that get used VERY REGULARLY, and have caused no problems for me and MANY other people.

Thank you, sir. I am often unappreciated as well as under-appreciated. I can't stand a "bullshit artist." They profit off of lies and twisting the truths founded by hardworking intellegent contributors to society.

I have put over 60+ amps thru my single 15" BTL, I have never had any tinsel issues.

Respecfully, congratulations, but that says nothing in the name of science or objectivity.

Secondly, the problems arise over extended use periods invloving heat and stress. I have had a pair of subs that I have been over rms'ing for 8 years and they are still fine. Does that make them the best subs, great, or the most reliable? No. Most subjective users would say yes.

To all those that keep hollering abuse, misuses, overpowering, ect. please remember he was running this sub at 1.4 ohm DCR and the coil shows no sign of heat, harmfull clipping, abuse, or anything of the sorts.

Yes, user error is always a factor in EVERY equation, and good products take that into consideration in the design phase.

Fi, the public demands answers. Nick has struck out twice. Enlighten us.

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

Wait...so if a product fails it has scientific importance. But if a product does not fail, it has nothing to do with science or objectivity? Hmmmm

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

If you want to sit here and pick apart what I say, that is fine. Please don't take it out of context. I would expect you to support Fi. I support the "idea of Fi" and other small manufacturers, just not their bullshit. The product failing is not what is under my scrutiny. It is the bullshit explanations (fake science) spewing loosely from the manufacturer.

As far as testimonials... I will leave you with this to think about and associate with our current topic: If I jump off the roof of my house, multiple times, without gettting seriously injured, does that deem it as "safe?"

-All Black 6's

-HID'ed and LED'ed

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

I have put over 60+ amps thru my single 15" BTL, I have never had any tinsel issues.

img20101114174514.jpg

By looking at that image, with a impedance rise to 1.01ohms its safe to assume your amp was wired around .35ohms and your coils wired in parallel.

So your 62amps of current was spit in half, with each coil seeing ruffly 31amps, and no tinsel failure.

Now if the coils where series, each coil would see that 62amps of current, possibly resulting in failure.

If his coils were in series you would never see a 60+ amp current! The dcr, and nominal impedance, and impedance rise would be much greater and the current would be much less, even though it would all be flowing through both coils in series like you were mentioning.

As a comparison with the same amp as you are stating, running in parallel allows much more current to flow out of the amp. The main advantages to series wiring in this instance is transient repsonse, amp efficiency, and product longevity. These are all good things, but you know, we love that power!!!!!

-All Black 6's

-HID'ed and LED'ed

If you want to sit here and pick apart what I say, that is fine. Please don't take it out of context. I would expect you to support Fi. I support the "idea of Fi" and other small manufacturers, just not their bullshit. The product failing is not what is under my scrutiny. It is the bullshit explanations (fake science) spewing loosely from the manufacturer.

As far as testimonials... I will leave you with this to think about and associate with our current topic: If I jump off the roof of my house, multiple times, without gettting seriously injured, does that deem it as "safe?"

Ha ha, don't put my words under scrutiny, but I will DEFINITELY scrutinize your itty bitty signature, lol. I don't even have FI in my truck anymore, I don't even have the T4000s in there. I just never updated the sig.

But what I have done is played with millions of set ups in all of my vehicles, FI/AA have been a constant presence, but so have many, many, many other products out there. This isn't a resume. But its very hard to claim objectivity, when its obviously not the case. I do enjoy the science debate, but let's remain objective if you want objectivity.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

This is a very very good read guys keep it coming.. :popcorn:

Subed in

1 Crossfire XS v2 15"

2 Deka group31a's

1 XS Power D3400 (under hood)

1 Addictive Audio 500.1 :D

1 Rockford 3sixty.2

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5s

2 Pyle Pro Super tweets

1 Crescendo 1000c4

Kenwood excelon x494 Head unit

Big Three upgrade

All 0 gauge of course

1 4.56c^ft box @28hz

(New Best official db score= 151.2 @ 36hz)

If his coils were in series you would never see a 60+ amp current! The dcr, and nominal impedance, and impedance rise would be much greater and the current would be much less, even though it would all be flowing through both coils in series like you were mentioning.

As a comparison with the same amp as you are stating, running in parallel allows much more current to flow out of the amp. The main advantages to series wiring in this instance is transient repsonse, amp efficiency, and product longevity. These are all good things, but you know, we love that power!!!!!

I guess I should of made it more understandable.

If he was running the woofer in series with 2 amps strapped at 2 ohms....

Also, this would really come into play if you where using 2 dual 1 ohm woofers with 1 amp. Both dual 1 ohm coils series together, then you parallel the two woofers together. The coils would see the full current load.

Where as you parallel your coils together, then series the two woofers together, the amperage would be split between each speakers 2 coils, making it less amperage per coil.

The end result is your amp would be working at the same impedance.

Someone did a video on this if I remember correct too.

ill look quick.

easy enough find, but im sure he is just another dumb guy that works for a speaker company too like nick...

Watch, you may learn something!

Archived