A-Pillar Staging

Autruche

Alright guys, 'sound quality' isn't something I know too much about, but I want to learn more about it. Right now I want to start on my pillars, but I'm not sure what would give me better staging/imaging: to mount the speakers so the face backwards, or so they face each other.

Like so: My current setup

DSCF1310.jpg

Or like so:

vw_polo_custom_apillar.jpg

I've hear that the second style yields better imaging, and it seems more logical as the first style seems as though you would get more sound from your side than the opposing side blasting in your face. I just want to be sure first.

I'm not really looking to have crazy sound quality (don't feel like replacing my firewall with mesh so I can put mids on my fenders and run 17-way active to get crazy staging so you can tell what floor tiles the lead coronet player is standing on) but I would like to make it feel closer to being like you're at the concert. I remember when I first put the speakers and tweets up in the pillar it went from 'eh...' to 'oooh!' Just looking to get the most out of them.

I'm looking to do 2 4" mids and 2 tweeters in each pillar.

Edit: typo

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Ive been reading up on this and it seems to vary quite a bit. The 'norm' I guess is to aim them towards the inside ear of the opposing passenger in the car. So passenger side piller to driver side inner ear/center of headrest. That being said, ive also seen them aimed towards the opposing window and even at the windshield. Unless otherwise stated, ill probably be aiming them as in one of the two options I listed.

Also, just FYI, 2 mids and 2 tweets is a hell of a lot to put in some A pillars, unless its a large sized SUV. Hope you have the room to still make them look good while getting good staging.

Since you're not going for any true SQ I would just aim them straight at each other. Most car speakers sound better off axis and hen you start aiming speakers at you some will be very over powering and harsh.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Since you're not going for any true SQ I would just aim them straight at each other. Most car speakers sound better off axis and hen you start aiming speakers at you some will be very over powering and harsh.

WTF are you talking about!! You need some edumacation... Experience shows with your statement

Yes because aiming a speaker straight at your ear will always sound better... Car audio speaker are almost all designed to be played off axis and give great results. Tweeters especially can be a lot more harsh when aimed straight at you. Its very dependent on the speaker but unless you're buying high dollar speakers chance are they will give a good response as designed off axis.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

You are correct robert..

So much to say in this topic, but its just wasted breath....

So....op, just put them on the pillar firing in whatever looks best to you

You nor your buddies will ever be able to hear a difference.

So,try to atleast makeit look good up there, and not a huge blob 5 1/4 on the pillar.

Fyi...1 good set of 3" and tweet will get louder than 2 sets of cheap speakers.

Dont take much up on the pillar

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Damn, I was hoping for more technical info when I saw that Ray posted. I'm probably just going to aim them at each other or aim them at opposing head rests. I just hope the other ones in the dash won't throw them off. I'm not just putting 2 4s in each pillar for staging though, I'm kinda running out of room too.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

WTF are you talking about!! You need some edumacation... Experience shows with your statement

Yes because aiming a speaker straight at your ear will always sound better... Car audio speaker are almost all designed to be played off axis and give great results. Tweeters especially can be a lot more harsh when aimed straight at you. Its very dependent on the speaker but unless you're buying high dollar speakers chance are they will give a good response as designed off axis.

You are correct robert..

So much to say in this topic, but its just wasted breath....

So....op, just put them on the pillar firing in whatever looks best to you

You nor your buddies will ever be able to hear a difference.

So,try to atleast makeit look good up there, and not a huge blob 5 1/4 on the pillar.

Fyi...1 good set of 3" and tweet will get louder than 2 sets of cheap speakers.

Dont take much up on the pillar

you guys need to read my score sheet from this weekend ...

on axis to each other angled up to the rear view mirror and slightly towards the windshield works really great for left and right separation, center channel effect without a center channel, stage and image out on the hood (which is a must for sound quality), and tweeter/mid range dynamics of the system ...

This setup is works best for a driver AND passenger setup ... and ALOT easier to tune rather than having to bandaid with processing and time alignment ...

just my suggestion here ... best of luck with your system bro ...

Thanks, Randal ... :drink40:

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

If your trying to run 2 4"s and 2 tweets in each pillar, they're going to be HUGE. Mine are pretty beefy and they have 2 4" coaxials in them, so i get the best of both worlds, mids and highs in there. But recognize that thats 4 speakers pretty close to your head so they're going to sound loud no matter how you really mount them..

Damn, I was hoping for more technical info when I saw that Ray posted. I'm probably just going to aim them at each other or aim them at opposing head rests. I just hope the other ones in the dash won't throw them off. I'm not just putting 2 4s in each pillar for staging though, I'm kinda running out of room too.

First rule of Sounq quality is to have your stage and image out on the hood of your vehicle and beyond your door mirrors ...

How can you create this affect aiming the drivers directly at the listener ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of trying to get them angled so it would bounce off of the middle of the windshield but I didn't know if that would have been a good idea.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Archived