Sundown Audio

A customer of mine picked up a used set of SA12s off c/l, but I noticed when putting them in the new box, no rubber boot, and no thick epoxy at the outer most roll of the spider. I mentioned this to another customer of mine who bought a new set of SA15's from me, he told me the older SA's don't handle tons of power as well as the newer SA's. Is there any truth to this? The guy also picked up a SAZ2500(off c/l as well) to power them, I tuned the amp down, but I can still feel the voice coils heating up through the dustcap, the bass boost is on zero. In relation, a different customer of mine bought 2 of the newer SA12's from me and put them on 2 Crunch Powerzone 1500's @ 1ohm on each sub, he beats the crap out of his with minimal warmth felt on the dustcaps. Now I know the 2 Crunch powerzone's aren't close to the SAZ2500, but they've got to be pushing at least 900-1000 rms(btw, if anybody as ever clamped these, I'd be interested to know what the results were). Or should I take them out of the ported enclosure and have him put them in a sealed to help handle the extra power? The box is 3.8 total, with a 72.5 square inches of port area x 32 long. Or, is it too much port area for those subs? What is the recommendation to make these subs last?

The changes have not been major -- but this is the SA series history :

2009 - First SA-12s released : 4-spoke frame with 4 vent holes

1st revision - Triple joint rings added : 4-spoke frame with 12 vent holes

2nd revision - Magnet boot added

3rd revision - Pole cap size and shape change : custom tooled ventilation ring added and frame vents removed

Each vent change increased thermal handling a bit -- but they have always handed a ton of power.

The SAZ-2500D is probably over twice as powerful as the two Crunch amps combined in reality -- so that is probably most of it :drink40:

--

Now on the SA-8s we made a big improvement with the bolted on spiders starting on the second run -- the first run were just glued on and at higher than rated power could be popped off the basket.

With the other sizes this never happened but we added the extra epoxy later on anyway.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

too much port area on that box, about 12.xx" per cube is what ive always read to be best

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13
-------------------------------------------------------------------

There has some revisions to make them "better" but the orignal SA 12 were well over built from the start .Jacob just has to have perfection . So to answer your question 3.8 is not bad for the subs ..they like 1.5 =12 3=15 per sub as far as port your a little big . But still within spec .

^^^ That would be fine for aeros, but if it's slot ported he wants around 16.xx" per cube.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

There has some revisions to make them "better" but the orignal SA 12 were well over built from the start .Jacob just has to have perfection . So to answer your question 3.8 is not bad for the subs ..they like 1.5 =12 3=15 per sub as far as port your a little big . But still within spec .

I'll 2nd this. Speaking from experience I run right at 1.6 cubes per 12 and 11.6sqin of port per cuft. I have each set of sa12's wired to .5 ohms on a saz3500d, which is quite a bit more powerful than the saz2500d. Make sure your guy isn't playing way below tuning since that could cause the coils to heat up quicker than normal as well.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll probably turn up the subsonic filter on there, I have it right around 25hz right now, but towards the end of building the box, I questioned weather or not the port was looking to big. I was actually thinking about just building another one for him.

Ive put over 1000 watts reactive to those first generation SA's if you want to call them that and dust cap was at ambient temperature the whole time... IMO your port is entirely to big. I like to stick to around 12 sq in of port per cube with the SA's.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals