SMD Distortion Detector Testing and Review!

Maybe you use your scope and go over 500freq's.

Do you?

That sure would take a long time to make sure it was clean even when you play that one song from that one tree band.

The "norm" for many many years has been 40-50. And 1k.

Dont know why all the sudden everyone wants to check for clean signal on 19,000 frequenicies.

What changed?

BUT. If you do want to check at any given freq, here is a super neat tool for you.

First read here.

http://sound.westhost.com/project52.htm

And here is a medium priced test unit

http://www.testequity.com/Keithley-2015_AudioAnalyzer-DistortionAnalyzer_4075.php?src=googlebase

See any value yet?

Still wanna just use a scope?

Maybe all those super long articles about testing distortion are just BS.

Or not.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Wow, reading the thread was pretty worthless, nothing technical was explained at all. The videos were nice on how to use the device but again nothing technical.

Im not knocking Tony, im not stating this isnt a useful tool. Im asking HOW ITS SO USEFUL. AND HOW IT APPLIES TO REAL WORLD CUSTOMERS.

No one asked for his credentials, I know he was in on the T15k amps but that doesnt answer my questions still...

Maybe if they posted the manual up then i can read some information about it and see what its all about. Then make an educated decision on whether to purchase one in the near future.

I dont go off of it works because other people say it does. Im one of those people that say educate me and teach me some stuff.

-Mike

read the thread and google tony damore if you need his credentials.

Highlander on 22's! Custom rear coils made by coilsprings.com to support weight!

WHOLE TRUCK sound deadened, All KnuKonceptz 0 GA wiring, Tons of fuses&fuse holders, 4 Sundown SA15's, 1 SAZ4500D, 6 G31 batts(4 runs of 0 to rear), 1 Ohio Generator 275 amp alt, MLA 14.7/15.3 w/Chargeable option, Toolmaker battery terminal blocks, 2 NEW SA 8's powered off the DDC6B amp, 550x2 in Birch center console SEALED box.

Just about everything in the interior is suede, Black and tan inside.

AUDIO PICS

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I wasnt thinking of testing into the sky of the frequency range just thinking that, maybe with these meters there was a way to test the range VS one specific frequency.

Not a huge range obviously (LIKE I SAID REALISTIC RANGE)since most will use it for sub amp setups, more like a 30-50hz freq range or something similar.

That was just an idea is all.

Its VERY un-realistic to test anything above what you normally play. Thats just ridiculous for you to say that. And i wasnt implying that i said REALISTIC measurements.

-Mike

Maybe you use your scope and go over 500freq's.

Do you?

That sure would take a long time to make sure it was clean even when you play that one song from that one tree band.

The "norm" for many many years has been 40-50. And 1k.

Dont know why all the sudden everyone wants to check for clean signal on 19,000 frequenicies.

What changed?

BUT. If you do want to check at any given freq, here is a super neat tool for you.

First read here.

http://sound.westhost.com/project52.htm

And here is a medium priced test unit

http://www.testequity.com/Keithley-2015_AudioAnalyzer-DistortionAnalyzer_4075.php?src=googlebase

See any value yet?

Still wanna just use a scope?

Maybe all those super long articles about testing distortion are just BS.

Or not.

Edited by MCarmer

Highlander on 22's! Custom rear coils made by coilsprings.com to support weight!

WHOLE TRUCK sound deadened, All KnuKonceptz 0 GA wiring, Tons of fuses&fuse holders, 4 Sundown SA15's, 1 SAZ4500D, 6 G31 batts(4 runs of 0 to rear), 1 Ohio Generator 275 amp alt, MLA 14.7/15.3 w/Chargeable option, Toolmaker battery terminal blocks, 2 NEW SA 8's powered off the DDC6B amp, 550x2 in Birch center console SEALED box.

AUDIO PICS

Worthless?

I think just over your head. If you understood notch filters, and harmonic distortion you would have loved that thread and seen how this piece is a mandatory toolbox item.

Im not here to teach class, all of you can google just like i can. If you dont understand the theory please dont just bash.

Some of it may be over your head. Thats ok. Hell thats good, it hurts to think about it all. Just try to grasp that distortion is bad, and this piece sees it at 1%.

Dun and dun.

Juan and tony already did the hard part.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I check everything, but I don't see this as a replacement for an oscope, I see it as another way to check gains that is easier and faster than an oscope

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

I think the link that was just posted had better information in it than this thread has.

I never bashed this and i dont understand how anyone can say i bashed this.

IN FACT I said im sure its useful. I remember saying that twice, dont you see that?

I was just asking a question which was not answered and if you cant put out a product without answering questions or making more information known about it then maybe you shouldn't be the one writing about it. Maybe you dont have patience for the common customer/consumer of this item.

Im on here to read and to learn about electronics, audio equipment and other things. Im not on here to start a cyber war with other forum members.

Its ahrd to distinguish fact from fiction over the internet so you certainly have to be skeptical of things when you first hear of them and of course research them to find out whats fact and whats opinion.

I do like the idea of this tool, I could definitely see owning this over other more expensive equipment(scopes). I do see its purpose and its uses but as i asked earlier i had a few questions, i searched earlier and didnt find enough on it so i asked those questions here in this thread and i expected a more intellectual response from a few people than what was given. But with a little help(link) and a little more searching I found a few things and ive pieced enough together from what Tony was explaining in them that i can gather my answers from there.

Thanks for the thread link. :)

-Mike

Worthless?

I think just over your head. If you understood notch filters, and harmonic distortion you would have loved that thread and seen how this piece is a mandatory toolbox item.

Im not here to teach class, all of you can google just like i can. If you dont understand the theory please dont just bash.

Some of it may be over your head. Thats ok. Hell thats good, it hurts to think about it all. Just try to grasp that distortion is bad, and this piece sees it at 1%.

Dun and dun.

Juan and tony already did the hard part.

Edited by MCarmer

AUDIO PICS

I never turn my ipod all the way up anymore, the highest i go is all the way but one bar on my ipod. thats probably the best volume because it doesn't clip there. I might even set a volume limit so i cant clip at all. I try downloading my music at 320kbs and i always render my projects at 320.

couldn't you just play pink noise and set it with the distortion detector that way it would find distortion along the whole spectrum?

for some reason that seems logical to me. I know distortion would be at different levels depending on the frequency but at least with pink noise you will find it at its earliest point.