So I keep getting recommended a capacitor...

mostly by shop nuthuggers, or people who don't know what the big 3 is, let alone how an alternator even comes into play with car audio...but for the longest time I couldn't tell these people why I wasn't getting a capacitor. Ever since I bought my alternator and my XS batt, I've been getting a flurry of "dude, just get a cap then you wouldn't have to spend all that money" or "man a cap would just cleared up all of that" and sometimes "man if you woulda got a (insert random # of farads) cap you could add more!". Now up until just a few hours ago, I couldn't remember why caps aren't helpful. Then I found this

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=54856

Just to make sure I understood everything correctly, capacitors are ONLY useful if your electrical system is more than capable of handling the current draw from your amp, correct? And even then, caps only help with small spikes in current? I normally blow off the people who tell me I need a cap because I know they don't know what they're talking about, but I wanted to find out just exactly why they wouldn't help me in my situation. It's been bugging me for a while now, and I feel it's something I should add to my knowledge.

Hoping someone knowledgeable will chime in here and enlighten me.

My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ

New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/

IIRC, Capacitators are only useful when you have no voltage drop, but still have dimming headlights (or something of the sort) due to spikes in current as you mentioned.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Okay, that makes more sense. I knew they weren't completely useless, and I didn't want to tell someone that they were useless if I didn't know WHY lol.

My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ

New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/

you know your amps are filled with caps. they work pretty well for it lol. there are different types of caps and most people just assume the same standard for electrolytic caps goes for all of them. in general, they dont help us. they do help some people. but there are some bad ass caps that are better than batteries. if you got the coin.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Caps mostly just help with line ripple. They are good to help protect amplifiers from AC waveforms and to supplement internal capacitance of the amplifier, but as most here already know, they're pretty much useless.

Dimming headlights and voltage or current drop/starvation are just signs of a poor or weak electrical system.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Well considering my starting battery is under the backseat doing the big 3 would be a pain in the ass for me. My stock alt is 140A (I can't go aftermarket but its water-cooled). I get dimming lights (to the bass notes) and my RPMs drop a bit. What do I do? LOL

Soundquest wiring is what was used which I think made contribute to the problem, along with my ground not being too good. Not sure if these 2 things would cause this issue.

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

i used caps in my system and i liked them until i got a second battery, from what i was told they are good for small systems but when you get to the big systems its recommended you get batteries

The way I always think about it is lke this. A capacitor is just like a battery on dc voltage except it can discharge all of it's amperage in a matter of a second or two. Which is fantastic. Til you have to recharge that cap and still power your amps and everything. Then you're taking away power that could be used to feed your amp.

Roseville, CA