Passive crossover power consumption

Generally speaking, how much power is consumed by passive crossovers?

Which leads to my next question about my T1562-s components. Now that I have a mono-amp for my subs, my T400.4 is all for my mids and highs. I am only running the single pair of components off the amp. I can use the bi-amp feature or I can run straight active. Just using the bi-amp feature is easier but neither way is too difficult.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I was actually talking to James about his like 2 weeks ago. Passive X-overs use about 20% of the power

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Cool. 20% seems significant to me so I will just skip the passives then. The RF website says the crossovers have a 3k HP and 3k LP. how much can I safely vary from those, mainly the tweeter HP number?

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

if anything increase the slope and stick around the same frequency for the tweet

(whats the db slope of the crossover, -6db or -12db?)

active will always be a better option, u can set time alignment easier (if u have it) and adjust gains individually

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

RF website said 18db HP @ 3K and 12db LP @ 3K

I have a 3sixty.2 and a 4 channel amp, so I have ideal equipment for active. However the 3sixty does 12db and 24db slopes.

I know the time alignment is easier with active, but this particular set of components has the bi-amp ability so I can really time align either way. I do like the idea of having the 3sixty control everything though so I can really get nit-picky with how it sounds.

Edited by MrSkippyJ

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I have a passive and active system for my t1652-s tweeters. After i blew one of them by having them connected just to the amp i decided it would be better to just put the crossover it came with on for safe measures. I have it set to bi amp (even tho im only running the two tweeters off the crossover) and i have my 3sixty.2 set at 3KHz at a 24db crossover point and it is set to highpass. I noticed that when i set it to bandpass of 3KHz - 23KHz it was cutting out my highs a TON so i would only do it as highpass on the 3sixty.

I am running them on a dc audio 175.4 amp with 14 gauge wire for the speaker wires and have not had any problems since i ran the crossover to just the tweeters. The mids i just have set to bandpass at a 12db slope on 65Hz - 3KHz and have no problems. When i get my SMD installed in a few weeks i am going to raise the crossover on the mids to 80Hz and make it a 24db slope since i dont need bass going to them since the smd will take good care of that.

Also, just because i wanted to, i set the dc audio amp on the tweeter channels to highpass at 300Hz (thats as high as it goes) just as a precaution. I have the amp wired so that channel 3+4 are for the mids while channel 1+2 are for the tweeters.

If you get lost in any of this hit me up and i can tell you all the specifics that i did to make it work. Ive had it installed since the beginning of june and have only blown one tweeter but that was totally my fault since i didnt have the crossovers set right and im feeding the mids and highs a decent amount of power over what RF rates them at and dont have any issues.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I have a passive and active system for my t1652-s tweeters. After i blew one of them by having them connected just to the amp i decided it would be better to just put the crossover it came with on for safe measures. I have it set to bi amp (even tho im only running the two tweeters off the crossover) and i have my 3sixty.2 set at 3KHz at a 24db crossover point and it is set to highpass. I noticed that when i set it to bandpass of 3KHz - 23KHz it was cutting out my highs a TON so i would only do it as highpass on the 3sixty.

I am running them on a dc audio 175.4 amp with 14 gauge wire for the speaker wires and have not had any problems since i ran the crossover to just the tweeters. The mids i just have set to bandpass at a 12db slope on 65Hz - 3KHz and have no problems. When i get my SMD installed in a few weeks i am going to raise the crossover on the mids to 80Hz and make it a 24db slope since i dont need bass going to them since the smd will take good care of that.

Also, just because i wanted to, i set the dc audio amp on the tweeter channels to highpass at 300Hz (thats as high as it goes) just as a precaution. I have the amp wired so that channel 3+4 are for the mids while channel 1+2 are for the tweeters.

If you get lost in any of this hit me up and i can tell you all the specifics that i did to make it work. Ive had it installed since the beginning of june and have only blown one tweeter but that was totally my fault since i didnt have the crossovers set right and im feeding the mids and highs a decent amount of power over what RF rates them at and dont have any issues.

this is what i have. my mids are running active and my tweets were getting too much power, even with the gains set and the freq tuned. i used the included crossover to bring them into a safer range.

you nailed it on the head jconn. I had the gain set lower on the 3sixty too and tried to set the volume within the 3sixty program to -8db and it still was too much power.

And op, heres what i did to adjust the volume on my tweeters. Play a song with a decent amount of highs and turn up the deck to the max it can go before any distortion or clipping, then listen to just the tweeters (i muted my door speakers). If you hear any little bit of crackling noise (sounds almost like rice krispies when you put them in some milk) then you need to turn the volume down on the tweeter channels just a little until it goes away. Another good way to see if its just a little too much power for the tweeter is to listen to some voices because the crossover isnt going to kill all the freqs from 3khz and below. If the singer says something with a "s" listen to it closely. if it sounds like they have a slight lisp in their voice and you KNOW for a fact that they dont sound like that then its too high.

I know it all sounds stupid but trust me, i did it and it works perfectly and i still have more than the 75w rms going to my tweeters and they are doing great.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

that all makes total sense. I think I will try it that way. The "S" sound in tweeters drives me crazy so I like this idea for getting rid of it. Thanks everyone.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69