macbook pro or on asus. speaking of wich, i have both for sale.

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

Most of our customers (I've been in IT since 95') run HP Elitebooks and have no problems. I would just suggest that you only look at laptops that are above $800 (preferably HP or Toshiba) because while there are cheap ones out there you should expect them to suck just like Peal n Seal ;) Be sure to uninstall the crapware as well... If you have some knowledge and go with an Elitebook it should come with a system disk (will say Windows 7 etc on it). Download all of the drivers from the HP site, put them on a stick, reinstall using that OS disk, and load the drivers. On some models USB won't work w/o a driver update so just make sure you have some blank CDs should the need arise.

By the same token I've been running a MB since the unibody hit and haven't had a single issue either, but they are a consumer product and while quality is generally good as a business you don't want to get pigeon holed. You need a product that you have plenty of options for repair, tons of software, and no quirks when it comes to doing things for work.

I used to be a laptop salesman/technician.

My personal opinion:

Stay away from dells/alienwares they're nothing but trouble.

Do not buy extended warranties unless you're hard on laptops and you plan on getting the accidental damage coverage.

My personal favorite brands are HP and Toshiba.

As the tech for over a year I only worked on 3-4 toshiba's and they were ancient. I had tons of dells that cost more to fix than what they were worth. I also worked on alot of hp's but it was 99% stupid stuff like "hey i looked at this 'website' and now I have this virus" and that is not the manufacturers fault at all.

Right now I'm rolling the HP ProBook 4525s which is my favorite laptop i've ever owned so far. Dual core, 8 gigs of ram for under 500 bucks. The outer lid is aircraft grade aluminum, as well as the inner palm rest. The keyboard has a built in liquid drain so if something is spilled on it your computer should be good to go. The touch pad is multitouch so you can pinch and zoom like an iphone/droid. Pretty cool machine for my uses.

100% agree... IMO the list goes Toshiba and then HP simply because every Toshiba I've had or worked with was replaced because it was old never because it broke down.

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Unless you are buying hp's pro book line PR an envy, I'd avoid them. Same goes with Dell. Business class or XPS.

Apple makes good stuff, but for what you would want, you would likely have to get the 15 inch which (IMO) is heavily overpriced. If you don't mind the price though, you will be getting quite the machine. Not the most powerful, but still an overall good package.

Don't buy Asus at BestBuy. They nerf them. Not sure about other brands though. They may differ.

The Asus listed above that looks like a jet fighter will not give you the battery life you would want. You are looking at an hour and a half at best. I have the G53JW. I know this. beside that though, I love mine. If you do decide to get it, buy a bit of speaker gasketing foam and stick it under the keyboard. It's a little too flexy for my tastes.

Asus support is likely second to none. You call, someone answers almost immediately, and it isn't Bob from India whom you can't understand. Iv read of several people getting RMAs even while outside of warranty window.

HP support will leave you hanging a week outside of warranty for something that is obviously a defect. I'm never buying an HP again.

Sony makes good stuff. Look into the Vaio Z.

You will also want to look for nvidia optimism graphics switching. I think that will be the only way you hit both your performance and battery life goals.

Actually, you would probably be better off buying a business class laptop since the graphics cards they use are more cad/Maya oriented than consumer gaming lines are.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

what's wrong with an alien ware laptop ?

my friend has a M15x with a core i7 it runs like a beast realy no problems at all.,

just curious.

that amp has 20,000 watts with 18volts, when lightning strikes and has jesus' blessing

Alpine 9886R

Harman/Kardon ca280

Spl dynamics Sd-6.2

DD M3a

2 x Sundown X12's

Does anyone here realize that HP has one of the highest failure rates of all laptop brands?

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

Dell owns alienware now.

And dell is shit ? our company runs dell pc's for 6 years now, no real problem at all, once the hard drive faild , next morning there was a ups van with the new one, that's what is call service.

So i dont get the whyning about dell...

that amp has 20,000 watts with 18volts, when lightning strikes and has jesus' blessing

Alpine 9886R

Harman/Kardon ca280

Spl dynamics Sd-6.2

DD M3a

2 x Sundown X12's

Dell owns alienware now.

And dell is shit ? our company runs dell pc's for 6 years now, no real problem at all, once the hard drive faild , next morning there was a ups van with the new one, that's what is call service.

So i dont get the whyning about dell...

Everyone is complaining because they like to buy entry level computers. Which almost universally have sub-par build quality.

Alienware is solid, but again, overpriced.

And even then, Dell's older entry level stuff was solid. I have a 2007 era laptop that is slow as hell but functions like new save the lid that has a little play in it.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert