Second Skin Audio

Worlds "Largest" subwoofer (Most RMS watts)

I remember when DD first put out the 99Zs. I can remember only three different builds across all the forums I'm on. They had loads of problems with daily, but every time a sub blew or failed DD would take them back free of charge and rebuild them a little better or send out an improved recone. Probably the only sub ever that I can think of that was still being innovated post release. Sadly, I haven't seen another DDZ build come along since. I'm sure by now they are the best on the market, and of course like all DD you can tailor them to what you plan to do with them. I would probably say the DDZ is the highest RMS yet practical sub on the market.

Whatever happened to the DDZ build that was on this site? Remember the guy with the Lunar amps that was always battling some part of his system? It was a sweet build too.

they actually just announced the Z is coming back out. they stopped production on them for awhile.

My post was based only on what i read on this forum,

Saw a few post a few month ago regarding the Z, never heard one nore do i thing ill ever get the chance to. But im sure there are more musical subs out there with similar power handeling for daliy drivers, like the SMD.

None the less not dissing the Z at all, its a masterpiece of design, a proven conxept. I like the motor, alot! :)

Edit: and to be clear i never said it cant play music, but you can find othere drivers for a lot less that will sound better, numbers on the TL aint evrything. By looking at the design of the Z, with high motor force, very good cooling for the coil, a tight gap, and who knows how many spiders, its pretty obviouse the Z was designed for SPL, dosnt mean it cant plsy music. I guess next time ill leave my opinion out. No need to bash, we all here to learn from others.

exactly only on what I read on this forum. thats the problem. hearsay. sorry to say it but if its not the rage of the moment DC or sundown brands its not cool here.

Z's hands down for pure spl. Im just saying, with a sub like this in a burp box, it wont sound that great on music IMO, box has a crusial role in performance and sound. And I THINK Z's perform best for that application

Smd yes would be a better choise for a groundpounder. I for instance dont car about numbers to much on my own build, as long as i can get low and loud enough to my liking, im happy.

And regarding the bashing, its not towards you, its in general, there are ways to say thing, if someone said something false or idk what, correct them in a nice way, make them feel welcome, some of us are begginers, noobs, some are pro's and experts.

So if anyone dissagrees with me or wants to correct me, say it in a nice calm way, dont throw it at me or bust my balls for it. We all make mistakes, i am man enough to stand up and say "hey, i was wrong. i had no proof behind my comment". Thats it. Have a nice day to all the smd members.

pretty sure if you spent the money on a Z or SMD you'd care about the numbers some. loud and high numbers dont have to go hand in hand but if you pump the money into the woofers and amps ot run it id hope id put up some good numbers.

your argument is no good here. if you're a beginner dont speak on what you dont know. you arent coming here to educate folks are you? you're coming here to learn. you saying that the Z sucks for daily like you did just propagates more people into thinking what you thought based on what you read. answers like that are part of the problem with message boards. users take what they've heard and present them as fact. doesnt matter the source of that information.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Any woofer in a burp box sounds like shit on music. So...

Strange way to make a point bud.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Id like to see how much power a smd could handle. What about lvl 5? I've seen 24k put on 2 and do mid 160s at a dbdrag. And I heard they can take more

ive seen a lvl5 12 blow apart on less than 7k

i mean you cant really complain :shrug:http://dcsoundlab.com/woofers.html I mean i think it says its rated at 2k watts that 3.5 times the rated so???

im not complaining at all. it was 2 lvl5 12s on 7k. one was fine but the other got mangled. i was more disappointed that i didnt get to get a full demo.

Oh, and also, the question in the title asks for the "Largest" Woofer, which has nothing to do with power handling.

And that title goes to Richard Clark's custom woofer

aka, MTX Thunder 1000000

RichardClarkMTX5footsub.jpg

WOW!!! Richard Clark!!! I rember my first car show he was there with a Fleetwood! Didn't he also own the SpeakerWorks Buick Grand National?!?!?

aaa-buick.jpg

im pretty sure the pictured car is Richard Clark s with the 12 in midbass in the back panels and the 18 in ap subs and usd wave guides under the dash.... servo controled gains on the amps one of the first ever noise gates....o and a turbo v6

I just told my age on this postshrug.gif

2 12" Jeff Vue Customs
1 set MB Quart FSB 216 in doors
1 American Bass 100.1 on sub
1 Hertz EP2 on doors
JVC deck IPOD control
Stock 105 amp alt
DD-1
big 3
new build in Chevy caviler http://www.stevemead...chevy-cavalier/

last set up in the ZX2 http://www.stevemead...-current-build/

old build log http://www.stevemead...-1998-ford-zx2/

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, debt is the money of slaves. Just my .02c

that shop needs keep those doors open so they have to charge for it

if people think 10k is a lot then they should get into other hobbies.. like masturbating, cause any hobby cost money to maintain

Lol no, I'm smarter than that bro haha. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..............go fuck yourself lol

I remember when DD first put out the 99Zs. I can remember only three different builds across all the forums I'm on. They had loads of problems with daily, but every time a sub blew or failed DD would take them back free of charge and rebuild them a little better or send out an improved recone. Probably the only sub ever that I can think of that was still being innovated post release. Sadly, I haven't seen another DDZ build come along since. I'm sure by now they are the best on the market, and of course like all DD you can tailor them to what you plan to do with them. I would probably say the DDZ is the highest RMS yet practical sub on the market.

Whatever happened to the DDZ build that was on this site? Remember the guy with the Lunar amps that was always battling some part of his system? It was a sweet build too.

they actually just announced the Z is coming back out. they stopped production on them for awhile.

Saw a few post a few month ago regarding the Z, never heard one nore do i thing ill ever get the chance to. But im sure there are more musical subs out there with similar power handeling for daliy drivers, like the SMD.

None the less not dissing the Z at all, its a masterpiece of design, a proven conxept. I like the motor, alot! :)

Edit: and to be clear i never said it cant play music, but you can find othere drivers for a lot less that will sound better, numbers on the TL aint evrything. By looking at the design of the Z, with high motor force, very good cooling for the coil, a tight gap, and who knows how many spiders, its pretty obviouse the Z was designed for SPL, dosnt mean it cant plsy music. I guess next time ill leave my opinion out. No need to bash, we all here to learn from others.

exactly only on what I read on this forum. thats the problem. hearsay. sorry to say it but if its not the rage of the moment DC or sundown brands its not cool here.

Z's hands down for pure spl. Im just saying, with a sub like this in a burp box, it wont sound that great on music IMO, box has a crusial role in performance and sound. And I THINK Z's perform best for that application

Smd yes would be a better choise for a groundpounder. I for instance dont car about numbers to much on my own build, as long as i can get low and loud enough to my liking, im happy.

And regarding the bashing, its not towards you, its in general, there are ways to say thing, if someone said something false or idk what, correct them in a nice way, make them feel welcome, some of us are begginers, noobs, some are pro's and experts.

So if anyone dissagrees with me or wants to correct me, say it in a nice calm way, dont throw it at me or bust my balls for it. We all make mistakes, i am man enough to stand up and say "hey, i was wrong. i had no proof behind my comment". Thats it. Have a nice day to all the smd members.

pretty sure if you spent the money on a Z or SMD you'd care about the numbers some. loud and high numbers dont have to go hand in hand but if you pump the money into the woofers and amps ot run it id hope id put up some good numbers.

your argument is no good here. if you're a beginner dont speak on what you dont know. you arent coming here to educate folks are you? you're coming here to learn. you saying that the Z sucks for daily like you did just propagates more people into thinking what you thought based on what you read. answers like that are part of the problem with message boards. users take what they've heard and present them as fact. doesnt matter the source of that information.

preach on Brotha

2 12" Jeff Vue Customs
1 set MB Quart FSB 216 in doors
1 American Bass 100.1 on sub
1 Hertz EP2 on doors
JVC deck IPOD control
Stock 105 amp alt
DD-1
big 3
new build in Chevy caviler http://www.stevemead...chevy-cavalier/

last set up in the ZX2 http://www.stevemead...-current-build/

old build log http://www.stevemead...-1998-ford-zx2/

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, debt is the money of slaves. Just my .02c

that shop needs keep those doors open so they have to charge for it

if people think 10k is a lot then they should get into other hobbies.. like masturbating, cause any hobby cost money to maintain

Lol no, I'm smarter than that bro haha. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..............go fuck yourself lol

you mean, random_tard_08 on forum_over_9000's info is wrong when he has never heard them in person and is just spouting off useless info that isnt right?

SINCE WHEN?

SINCE WHEN SIR

I CALL SHENANIGANS..

ok, so I agree... most people who own Zs have them in burp boxes, probably tuned in the 50s-60s or even higher, and playing music on them would suck, if you tuned them to 35hz, im sure they wouldnt..

if some one wants to test that theory, buy me 2 18" Zs and ill toss them in the wall tuned to 35, i got some power to back them up..

lets see how it likes 20-30s :P

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I think you mean convectedfelon

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/50255-2-dd-9518zs-and-8-tiny-amps/page__p__699590__hl__%2Bddz+%2Blunar+%2Bamps__fromsearch__1#entry699590

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Got a demo from him today, Convicted Felon is his name on here I believe. 3 9518z on 6 Lunar 500w amplifiers (don't remember the model number). It got low, loud, and was very impressive. He has them in a Horn enclosure, I believe the box is 15cubes net. I let him listen to some Decaf, and it started tearing his Burban apart, literally. He will be adding 6 more Lunars when he gets a H/O alternator.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Oh, and also, the question in the title asks for the "Largest" Woofer, which has nothing to do with power handling.

And that title goes to Richard Clark's custom woofer

aka, MTX Thunder 1000000

RichardClarkMTX5footsub.jpg

WOW!!! Richard Clark!!! I rember my first car show he was there with a Fleetwood! Didn't he also own the SpeakerWorks Buick Grand National?!?!?

aaa-buick.jpg

im pretty sure the pictured car is Richard Clark s with the 12 in midbass in the back panels and the 18 in ap subs and usd wave guides under the dash.... servo controled gains on the amps one of the first ever noise gates....o and a turbo v6

I just told my age on this postshrug.gif

Mee tooo....

Pontiac Grand Prix GT
400a Mean Machine alt.

EIGHT DD 12''s on a DDz2
DD vo 8''s,6''s,5.25''s&tweets
Norfolk, VA
http://www.youtube.c...ser/ovnorfolkva
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSPLSpot/473815915987218/?notif_t=group_activity#!/chrishova
http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1[/color]

Got a demo from him today, Convicted Felon is his name on here I believe. 3 9518z on 6 Lunar 500w amplifiers (don't remember the model number). It got low, loud, and was very impressive. He has them in a Horn enclosure, I believe the box is 15cubes net. I let him listen to some Decaf, and it started tearing his Burban apart, literally. He will be adding 6 more Lunars when he gets a H/O alternator.

Yep, that's him. Haven't seen his thread pop up in a while. He should post more vids, and I forgot he didn't have the 99s. Still some sexy subs, I think I'm going to go thread hunting. I know I've seen 99Zs in a daily setup with stupids watts behind them. I don't even like DD, until you mention the Z... :spiteful: I wish there were more 99Z builds.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Archived