DC Sound Lab

175.4 Thermal Protect Troubleshooting

Ira a great amp, but I can't help feeling like "brand name" (hifonics, mbquart, kicker, RF) amps don't have as many issues as the expensive ones (sundown, DC, Audioque)

What you are seeing is a higher % of the total ownership of the brands like Sundown, DC, and AQ on the forums -- you always hear from 100% of unhappy customers but only 1% of happy customers :drink40: For every 1 problem you read about on the forum there are 99 other guys with their amps running around every day with no issues at all.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Ira a great amp, but I can't help feeling like "brand name" (hifonics, mbquart, kicker, RF) amps don't have as many issues as the expensive ones (sundown, DC, Audioque)

What you are seeing is a higher % of the total ownership of the brands like Sundown, DC, and AQ on the forums -- you always hear from 100% of unhappy customers but only 1% of happy customers :drink40: For every 1 problem you read about on the forum there are 99 other guys with their amps running around every day with no issues at all.

if not more. and that 1% is largely due to operator error.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Also... a Class A/B amp can be up to ~65% efficient (counting the power supply) at FULL power but when used at lower levels can drop to 20% or so... sounds weird but using less of the maximum potential of an A/B amp can cause it to over-heat. Say, for example, you are crossing over most of the bass region for component sets you are in turn using very little of the capacity of the amp so are likely running around 20-25% efficiency at best.

Example :

1000 watts @ 65% = 1538 -- 538 watts heat

500 watts @ 20% = 2500 -- 2000 watts heat

So at half the power you are dissipating nearly 4x the heat.

You can read a bit more in this article (Google Cache Text Mode) :

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:YD0w4wAyEXsJ:caraudiomag.com/articles/anatomy-power-amplifier+A/B+amplifier+efficiency&hl=en&client=firefox-a&gl=us&strip=1

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Good answer, makes sense to me! Also, considering most people on here run their amps at the lowest ohm load possible (.5-1 ohm) as apposed to the guy who buys and has his stuff installed at best buy running an amp at 4ohms. A lower ohm load is generally going to create more heat, right?

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

Well guys, Rusty just let me know that he ran it for 4 hours on 4 6x9's and it hardly got warm. So even though I won't be using it anymore, I need to troubleshoot what caused the issue in my car. If you have followed this topic, you know I checked all speakers individually and the crossovers nominal resistance. The only thing I can figure is at least one crossover is fucking up under power, which I don't know how to check.

I am not using the crossovers anymore, running active, so if anyone wants the task of testing them, let me know. I'll pay shipping to and from you. I just want to reiterate, the amp is fine, and I feel like a dick for even making this thread.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread