Painting MDF with automotive paint

we used soild 2k soild paint on some things at work. took 3-4 coats and it still not great.

for basecoat i would roll on primer it, sand it, spray it again primer and rub it then paint.

the primer should fill in and smooth out most bits, anything else after the roll id bodyfill.

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

Follow the links in the first post of this link

This looks like the winner thanks!

The second link How to paint MDF to a mirror finish worklog dosn't go anywhere tho. but the first write up is def some points to try out on a test piece and see how it works.

Dammit! Didn't realize they took down that walk through! It was a bad ass write up and very thorough, it was still up last week. Bummer. The biggest thing is to take your time when allowing the primer/paint to dry. It took the guy about 8 days to do the MDF project. Priming, drying, sanding, priming again, drying, sanding, priming, drying and wet sanding... Like 16 coats of primer I believe. Then he went through the same process with spray paint.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

as I read down that thread, other users do as instructed and add shit to it, and has alot of info added to the original posted above

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

Mind you I can't say it was mdf, but my great grandpa was notorious for paiting everything and anything with left over paint from his autobody shop. I never met him but through my life time the paint held up on ceder, oak, redwood, mahagany, amongst other types of wooden furnature. I am guessing it was all lead based paint because he retierd in the early 60s and pased away months before I was born in 1982. To this day there is still furnature my uncle has that is still sitting with the original paint my great grandpa put on. Worst thing it doesn't hold. But in my opinion it will just take a little denser of a mixture due to mdf having more pours then metal.

He must have been doing something, they didnt have body filler way back

only body filler back in the day was lead lol. Just looked at the ceder chest, stiped the paint of some years ago but just took a look at it and on the back the hinges and a brace on the bottem has some paint left on them so I took some pictures to show you. Mind you this was likely painted around 1950-1955. But to me it looks as if it was just a couple coats of paint, no primer or anything. Took a couple pictures so you can see. Not the greatest because they are from my phone but yeah.

paint1o.jpg

paint2d.jpg

paint3s.jpg

Then add the ammount of times that ceder chest was moved. Venice California where it was painted, North Hollywood, Reseda, Woodland Hills, Canoga Park, Woodland Hills, Oxnard, Eureka, Salt Lake City Ut, Kanab Ut, Woodland Hills, Woodland Hills, Canoga Park, Santa Clarita, Canoga Park, Tarzana, Santa Clarita, Palmdale, Woodland Hills, Canoga Park and I am sure I am missing quite a few in there.

Didn't steve just sand his towers smooth, prime, then paint? If he was able to do it with conventional paint, I see no reason why it shouldn't work with automotive paint.

I guess the key is priming so the MDF soaks up the primer and not the paint that goes on later

Sand with 220 prime with sandable primer knock it back down with 220 prime again and sand it smooth

What kind of primer? I don't believe automotive primer would adhere to wood.... I can go out back n check the 2k high build primer I have if you would like op.

But id say glass it, sand smooth and then sealer, then primer, guide coat, fix imperfections, primer, 400 grit wet sand, clear coat with 15 min flash time then clear after 2-3 base coats....

I'd suggest don't mix brands..if u start with ppg finish with it.. I'm still kinda new to auto body..only painted like 5 cars...but its only a hobby..

Sand with 220 prime with sandable primer knock it back down with 220 prime again and sand it smooth

What kind of primer? I don't believe automotive primer would adhere to wood.... I can go out back n check the 2k high build primer I have if you would like op.

But id say glass it, sand smooth and then sealer, then primer, guide coat, fix imperfections, primer, 400 grit wet sand, clear coat with 15 min flash time then clear after 2-3 base coats....

I'd suggest don't mix brands..if u start with ppg finish with it.. I'm still kinda new to auto body..only painted like 5 cars...but its only a hobby..

no offense, but it sounds like a waste of resin to me...and if you've ever sanded just resin, you wouldn't be suggesting it. unless your saying to use mat/cloth; then your just making a bigger mess than what you started with, again wasting expensive materials.

numatik, I would probably go the filler route...a skim coat, any thicker and you run the risk of cracking out. Ive painted MDF before, but it took a good 4-5 coats of primer to make sure it didnt soak in. or you can do like the tutorial and try it out on a sample piece.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Automotive primer works just fine. I've done it many times.

Resin? Are you guys serious? Lol good luck with sanding you'll have to sand it for 2+ hours. Fuck all of that. Resin isn't going to be sanded easily. If you do go the resin route Gary make sure you get the shit from home depot/lowes. Tap stuff doesn't have wax in it and doesn't sand. They do carry and additive you can add to make it sabdable. But then your spending more than just a quart at lowes.

Roseville, CA

no offense, but it sounds like a waste of resin to me...and if you've ever sanded just resin, you wouldn't be suggesting it. unless your saying to use mat/cloth; then your just making a bigger mess than what you started with, again wasting expensive materials.

numatik, I would probably go the filler route...a skim coat, any thicker and you run the risk of cracking out. Ive painted MDF before, but it took a good 4-5 coats of primer to make sure it didnt soak in. or you can do like the tutorial and try it out on a sample piece.

I'm not trying to argue.. I always come off that way..

But how long would the filler last before it cracks?

N resin isn't to bad with a da and 36 grit.. I have yet to even make a box... So this is me speaking from school info Lol

Archived