Voltage problem

So here's the deal: Finally got around to finishing my big 3 upgrade on Sunday.... yesterday on my way to work, I was pounding down the highway when I realized my voltage was getting low, down to like 12.2 or so...so I killed the system, and I reached back and flipped the breaker I run on the big amp off, and pretty much turned everything off...voltage came up some but wouldnt go above about 12.9v or so.... So I let it sit, I left work, voltage started off appearing normal, but then soon dropped to below 12.9v, even with everything electrical turned off and the Jeep running... So I stopped at the parts store and grabbed a fresh stock replacement to throw in last night( did this as opposed to buying a beefy alt because jeep is getting sold soon, and my job has a discount and charge account at this parts store.)... So I get home, put in new alt...and fire jeep up for a minute..the voltage climbed up to 14.4 while it was cold then dropped to high 13s at idle, which is what it has always done... So this morning on my way to work, everything seemed normal, until I started to bump the sub hard.... right away my voltage drops down to high twelves and slowly drops from there... So I let the jeep sit for a bit, went out and just started it again, voltage went up to 14.2 and stayed there for a second..and as soon as I start to beat on the sub it drops out to the high 12s again and continues to slowly drop. So real quick I turned jeep off, and then immediately restarted it, voltage wouldnt rise above 13.1v now....

So can anyone tell me whats going on? never had this problem before with stock wiring... Just started after i did my big three, and Ill admit I made a boo boo while doing my big 3, didnt real one of the run was still connected to the optima and I did short it out for a split second ( sparks are pretty), did/would that kill a batt?

Jeep has stock 117amp alt, an optima redtop under the hood, big 3 done with 0ga, 250a fuse on run of 0ga to kinetik hc2400 mounted out back, both amps draw directly from kinetik... It basically acted the same with the old alternator yesterday, as it is doing today with new alt... so i dont think its that... Is one of my batteries dead or dying? I dont have a voltmeter at work to check anything, but I can once I get home... Any thoughts on where to look first?

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Check all your wires and make sure the grounds are good and the connections are tight.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Check if any wires you ran from alt to.battery, and to the back battery.

See if they are getting hot.

Or jiggle them to see if the connections and terminals are secured.

Usually a bad terminal connection causes the.voltage to.change.

Sometimes if the.ring terminal is not soldered properly, happens all the time, it'll.cause.voltage drops.

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

^^^ Larry makes a point and if everything checks out my question is...How are you measuring voltage is it from a DMM or from an LCD Volt Meter if it's from a dash mounted LCD volt meter I would measure it using a DMM to toss out the idea that it may a bad meter. If it isn't the meter then I would say try playing with the car off and see what the draw looks like from the batts alone. If you notice the drop problem solved if not then on to the next possible scenario.

150 POST :woot: :woot: What better way to spend it then with helping a fellow basshead.

Edited by IBleedMusick

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

My guess is your ground, make sure the ground on the battery it's self isn't loose

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing seems like it is getting hot. Everything has a secure connection as well, all my ring terminals are crimped, not soldered... but they were crimped tight as hell in a large vice. Ill dbl check though to make sure... My in dash volt meter reads as though everything is normal, my scorpion that is wired to rear kinetik is showing the 12.9 and dropping voltage... and like I mentioned above, this never happened with the stock wiring so Im guessing I f'd something up or is it likely the optima died and the kinetik is now doing all the work? I hate this shit..kinda wish I would just left it alone...then this prob wouldnt be an issue...damn it.

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

My guess is your ground, make sure the ground on the battery it's self isn't loose

I hate being a dumbass. I just checked out my new grounds I made and One of them is jiggly in its ring terminal..guess I didnt crank vice down as tight as I thought I did... imma buy me a torch and some new ring terminals this weekend and re solder every single terminal ive done...f this crimping shit. If bossman is cool with it, im gonna pull that cable and re crimp it for now to see if that cures anything. thanks guys..Ill post results shortly..... yall are awesome. Theres gonna be a free beer cooler for some of you guys when I get this meet ironed out..

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Free beer. I'm down lol.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg