I'm trying to find easy ways to save money on my car projects so I can do more modifications more frequently. Typically, I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for." However, is a $200 to $300 ram air intake really necessary for an engine that won't yield high results to begin with (GA16DE)? I am only hoping to gain a few horsepower. It's mostly just for fun. So, my question is: Am I a fool to buy a $40 to $50 intake kit off ebay or am I just a smart shopper? :pardon:

Opinions please!

2004 Ford Mustang GTPioneer DEH-P7200HD head unitMach 460 Factory System

Cadence FXA1600.2

Cadence S2W10

Cadence 4 AWG wiring

Ported box, 2 cubes, 32 hertz

I'm trying to find easy ways to save money on my car projects so I can do more modifications more frequently. Typically, I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for." However, is a $200 to $300 ram air intake really necessary for an engine that won't yield high results to begin with (GA16DE)? I am only hoping to gain a few horsepower. It's mostly just for fun. So, my question is: Am I a fool to buy a $40 to $50 intake kit off ebay or am I just a smart shopper? :pardon:

Opinions please!

Modify an ebay intake into a ram air

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

I'm I big fan of saving money. But I don't like to cheap out on things just to save a buck.

I look at a few things when I buy something. First off I look at the price, then I look at my needs/wants of the product, then I look at comparable products. If prices are way different on comparable products there is most likely a reason why and not always cause of a "name". Build quality is another major thing I look at but is kind of hit and miss when buying online. If the quality of the build is integral to it's function then I usually won't buy it online without reviews from people I know either from forums or friends. I weigh all these things together to make my decisions.

I know my advice isn't ground breaking or anything lol but it works for me. I've had a few bad "buys" but most of my stuff I'm happy with.

Edited by sprkn_ranger

Just get the pipe off eBay an custom make it to fit.. Very easy.. Just buy a decent filter.. Cheap eBay filters are actually constrictive and don't last for crap.. But on a stock motor, no bolt ons, a good exhaust is still gonna Yeild the most gains.. Just my .02 cents..

Edited by 99fullsizechevy

Laying frame soon.. System has to wait

Opinions please!

Modify an ebay intake into a ram air

Sounds like a possible idea.

I'm I big fan of saving money. But I don't like to cheap out on things just to save a buck.

I look at a few things when I buy something. First off I look at the price, then I look at my needs/wants of the product, then I look at comparable products. If prices are way different on comparable products there is most likely a reason why and not always cause of a "name". Build quality is another major thing I look at but is kind of hit and miss when buying online. If the quality of the build is integral to it's function then I usually won't buy it online without reviews from people I know either from forums or friends. I weigh all these things together to make my decisions.

I know my advice isn't ground breaking or anything lol but it works for me. I've had a few bad "buys" but most of my stuff I'm happy with.

Good way to weigh your options carefully!

Just get the pipe off eBay an custom make it to fit.. Very easy.. Just buy a decent filter.. Cheap eBay filters are actually constrictive and don't last for crap.. But on a stock motor, no bolt ons, a good exhaust is still gonna Yeild the most gains.. Just my .02 cents..

I can check for just a pipe...hard to find parts for this car in abundance and variety though.

Cadence FXA1600.2

Cadence S2W10

Cadence 4 AWG wiring

The filter is all that really matters, and to be honest, you probably won't feel much gain anyway. I would say get a K/N filter for <50 and modify the stock intake tube to fit it. Fab up a little heat shield and there you go, short ram air. The pre assembled kits do not increase the diameter of the pipe going to your intake manifold so the gains are only seen by the speed with which the air is delivered. You can get more air faster but you don't get much more.

I say go for the K/N (or comparable) filter before you waste money on a ebay kit. I've seen ebay kits made of super cheap materials that are easy to break.

I bought an ebay one for about $40 4 years ago and just had to replace the filter. If you keep them fairly clean, they work just fine. Had to buy one cause an animal of sorts chewed thru my intake tubing (odd, huh?)and wasn't going to spend a lot for a stock replacement lol.

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

you wont notice much performance gain with a intake. It will mainly just sound a bit louder. If you buy a intake from ebay they are pretty good and do what there supposed to but it would be better to buy one from ebay and then an extension tube so it can go lower and get cooler air so you would have a cold air intake for around 100 in total. After the ebay filter is old just replace it with a k&n or a AEM filter

Yeah well like I said up top, I don't really care that much about the gains...it's more just for fun. I just like to do stuff, you know? :drink40:

Cadence FXA1600.2

Cadence S2W10

Cadence 4 AWG wiring

Drop an SR20DE into it ;)

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC