Do all shops do this? cheat, short cuts.

I know this.. in my personal shop I dont cut my corners, and if I do its my ride I can clean it up when time allows.

Rebuild Log with the SMD

CURRENT..

Honda Accord Coupe

Porsche Cayenne S

Lexus CT200

Lexus ES300 (sold)

99 Lexus RX 300 (sold)

ADDING

Honda - Hertz setup, more to come

Porsche - Fi BL, XS Power, more to come

coming soon..
peep the old rebuild log of the Lexus RX

I usually just watch the show for the good laughs. Dont really pay attention to their installs that much, besides the Ipad in dash installs.

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

Honestly he should've put the deadener on the inside of the panel. No way an 8" would cause flex in that application. Waste of money where it's located now.

In terms of the install though everything was "cookie-cutter", which is the bread and butter of shop installs. By no means do I think it was a BAD install, could've just been done much better.

Also why the heck did he even bother cutting the rear carpet cover? I've done that truck many times and just slap the M or F series Alpine over the carpeted section.

Honestly he should've put the deadener on the inside of the panel. No way an 8" would cause flex in that application. Waste of money where it's located now.

In terms of the install though everything was "cookie-cutter", which is the bread and butter of shop installs. By no means do I think it was a BAD install, could've just been done much better.

Also why the heck did he even bother cutting the rear carpet cover? I've done that truck many times and just slap the M or F series Alpine over the carpeted section.

could have added the deadener to block road noise...

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

could have added the deadener to block road noise...

That could be totally justified. I'm just wondering if that's the way it was conveyed to the customer.

I've sold 2 bulk packs of Dynamat to a 60-something year old lady cuz her Kia's road noise was so bad so I agree with you. But in terms of improving the sound of the system that deadener ain't doing shat.

Not all shops cut corners but there are a lot of them no way in hell it's happening where I temp at because I will be damned if my name is put on any car that I didn't do my absolute best on. Budget is a huge factor but any customer I install I talk to myself before the salesman inside can and I explain everything that customer will need after they tell me what they would like. I make sure I get it right the first time and the absolute best because that's my livelihood and my dad taught me long time ago when you're an installer your livelihood is customer satisfaction because they are either going to become recurring or refer friends and fam your way. I can't speak for the shop I'm at but when I or my father work on a car it's done the best I can and if the customer wants to be el cheapo they get a full explanation on the pros and cons of doing so. An installers hands may be tied on that budget but it's not the end of the world.

As far as the install in the vid I would have personally gone 4 gauge but I don't comment on other shop installs. Everyone does it their way no need for me to act like I know more than anyone in this industry cause I don't.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

tommy mckinnie & his shop k.o.b. kustoms don't cut corners which is why i went to him instead of a shop in my town

people who have bought from me Team Bassick (ALPINE) Purplehaze nidus

head unit sony dsx-s310btx
subs 2 12 incriminator audio king of bass
subs amp incriminator audio 20.1
mids/highs
mids/highs amp incriminator audio 6.4
equalizer clarion
crossover interfire
alternator 1 mechman 240amp
battery's xs power 1 d2100 2 d3100
sky high car audio 1/0 awg ofc wires

memphis car audio 1/0 ofc
xs power xs flex 4 awg

sky high car audio 8 gauge ofc

sky high car audio 12 gauge ofc

t spec rca

check out my building log http://www.stevemead...frey-build-log/

http://www.stevemead...d-other-things/

check out audio gear i have for sale
http://www.stevemead...51#entry1595151

Mechman_300x100px-2.jpg

3d7304fe.jpg

header3-1.gif

SkyHighCarAudio_zps27302c94.png

• 2 months later...

if you listen to jonny at 6:00 he talks about the customers low budget. the amp is a JX 300/4. half the power is on the highs. so an eight foot run of eight gauge is plenty, especially considering the Vega HED sub.

we always use "real guage" copper wire. but you have to keep in mind customer budget. if i have to give a guy a weird fuse holder setup to get him into the system he wants than so be it. at least the'res a fuse :-P

plus this is what really happens at a shop. that system turned out great, the customer got a great deal and hes happy as a clam.

I think cutting corners on high end jobs would be a more severe offense.

I dont care what input an amp has, just use the correct wire for the current draw.

I feel 8awg copper is just fine here.

1 more to prove a point.. How many of you have hifonics 2kw amps with 4awg terminals??

Yeah.

And for dampening

All depends on what the custy wanted.

I dont always get someone into 6 sheets per door plus templates for the holes. But we try.

I do whatever is agreed upon by salesman and custy.

Some people just cant afford to do everything the way i would do it in my own truck. Thats fine. I take whatever money i can get, would be out of business real fast if i turned down work cause its not the best way to do it.

All my work is safe, clean and up to a high standard.

Keep doing what you do Doug.

Post up some of the cool ipad to bit1 pieces too sukka.

I love digi to optical parts.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Archived