Sonic Electronix

How much of a difference should I expect?

Well I have 2 sheets of mdf and a weekend to try some things I guess.

I got about $600 for a new amp and battery so I can def. get something decent.

Something out of the want to sale here a AQ 2200, here some nicepriced used batt´s (take 2), maby RAM have some other sized batt´s if them impropper for your need.

The rest of your budget, for a nice 50 ft. spool of 0/1 gauge for power and ground threw the starterbatt, big 3 if you havent it and wiring your new batt in the trunk.

And if you take 2 batt´s you can hold your cap, if you doesent do, sell him he would strain your electrical system, if your electrical system isn´t rock solid.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

Honestly, by only doubling your power, it wont get any louder to your ear.. A termlab meter, sure it will be louder.

You need a 2-3db gain for most to hear something getting louder, and you will be lucky to gain 1db just by upgrading to a amp 1000watts larger.

Then you got to look at the new amp that makes more wattage is going to need more current to make that power. Upgrading wire to 0/1 will help a little bit, but not no where near as good as a good battery.

but doubling the power is a 3db gain on paper. i dont see how he wouldn't see a significant gain

Then you must not have much experience. If doubling power was an automatic 3db gain, EVERYONE would be doubling power. There is so much more than just...doubling power. You have enclosure, and how that enclosure reacts to a given woofer on certain power level, vehicle, etc.

I have not seen 3db gains by doubling power, but find a nice addition doubling cone area and power.

I'm going from three 15"s and 12k to six 15"s and 24k.

i gained 5db by doubling power

went from two 1500's strapped at 2ohm to strapped at .5ohm. went from 1000w to 3000w clamped.

and i did run that daily =)

3000/1000=3, so tripled power not doubled.

That would explain a almost 5db difference. I suspect the difference is closer to 4db then to a 5db difference.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

in all honesty OP this is what i would.. sell one of ur subs..sell ur amp..get the aq 1200 u were thinking about.. buy your 0 gauge( but in all honesty that amp is fine if you have good quality 4 gauge) do the big 3 and possibly up grade ur front battery and build a good box for 2 of those subs..OPTION 2 get the 2200 mentioned before and do 2 12's in ur trunk or maybe even 2 10's..aq's like BIG boxes.. an 18 box for the aq will take up as much room if not more than ur 3 12's box

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

in all honesty OP this is what i would.. sell one of ur subs..sell ur amp..get the aq 1200 u were thinking about.. buy your 0 gauge( but in all honesty that amp is fine if you have good quality 4 gauge) do the big 3 and possibly up grade ur front battery and build a good box for 2 of those subs..OPTION 2 get the 2200 mentioned before and do 2 12's in ur trunk or maybe even 2 10's..aq's like BIG boxes.. an 18 box for the aq will take up as much room if not more than ur 3 12's box

I ordered a 1200 on 2nd day air so hopefully it gets here by the weekend...

My options now

1) run 2 type rs off the 1200

2) scrap the type rs for some aq subs? idk maybe the type rs will be sufficient once they are getting more than 350 watts and in a new slot port box.

would 2 aq 10's or 1 aq 15 be > than the 2 type rs?

big 3 and new batt will be done when the new box goes in.

Build In Progress for Slamology 2013

3 m1xl 18s walled in a gti

1 5k

4 batts

audio technix 1/0

8 cheap r/f 6.5s

mb quart 4.60

My options now

2) scrap the type rs for some aq subs? idk maybe the type rs will be sufficient once they are getting more than 350 watts and in a new slot port box.

maybe...maybe not.. no way to tell broham.. :shrug: and before someone else says it..you cant compare equipment such as this vs. that..basically no versus questions as it entices fanboys and pissing matches that tend to get nasty..quick lol

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

My options now

I will say that AQ makes a good product and you will be happy with them, but the Type Rs might just want a better box. lol... you never know. You could build another box for the type Rs and if that doesn't satisfy you, find a coulpe of 12 that will. Its not always suggest to keep the same box for different subs, but if they take up aproximatly the same internal volume and like a similar size box then you should be fine.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

My options now

I will say that AQ makes a good product and you will be happy with them, but the Type Rs might just want a better box. lol... you never know. You could build another box for the type Rs and if that doesn't satisfy you, find a coulpe of 12 that will. Its not always suggest to keep the same box for different subs, but if they take up aproximatly the same internal volume and like a similar size box then you should be fine.

Yeah i think 3 12"s and the box might be taking up too much room because I would swear it is louder inside the car when the trunk is open...idk.

1 5k

4 batts

audio technix 1/0

8 cheap r/f 6.5s

mb quart 4.60

Use two subs, sell the 3rd for funds to build a new enclosure. New enclosure is cheaper than new subs, and the type Rs are decent daily drivers

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Use two subs, sell the 3rd for funds to build a new enclosure. New enclosure is cheaper than new subs, and the type Rs are decent daily drivers

I plan on trying a new enclosure over the weekend. Thinking about putting them right up against the backseat with a slot port along the bottom of the box or maybe a side idk not sure yet

1 5k

4 batts

audio technix 1/0

8 cheap r/f 6.5s

mb quart 4.60

Honestly, by only doubling your power, it wont get any louder to your ear.. A termlab meter, sure it will be louder.

You need a 2-3db gain for most to hear something getting louder, and you will be lucky to gain 1db just by upgrading to a amp 1000watts larger.

Then you got to look at the new amp that makes more wattage is going to need more current to make that power. Upgrading wire to 0/1 will help a little bit, but not no where near as good as a good battery.

but doubling the power is a 3db gain on paper. i dont see how he wouldn't see a significant gain

Then you must not have much experience. If doubling power was an automatic 3db gain, EVERYONE would be doubling power. There is so much more than just...doubling power. You have enclosure, and how that enclosure reacts to a given woofer on certain power level, vehicle, etc.

I have not seen 3db gains by doubling power, but find a nice addition doubling cone area and power.

I'm going from three 15"s and 12k to six 15"s and 24k.

i gained 5db by doubling power

went from two 1500's strapped at 2ohm to strapped at .5ohm. went from 1000w to 3000w clamped.

and i did run that daily =)

3000/1000=3, so tripled power not doubled.

That would explain a almost 5db difference. I suspect the difference is closer to 4db then to a 5db difference.

4db is still greatly over 3db lol. but even still, i didnt give all the details :peepwall: those were two separate comments, i did not mean them to go together.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived