Second Skin Audio

Overexcursion distortion

TommyK

I have a 15 " sub in about a 2.2 cubic foot sealed box and when i have it turned up i hear a soft buzzing noise from the cone but only when i open my trunk but its barely noticable really. The bass still sounds fine and clean in the car and continues to get louder as i turn it up but the buzzing becomes a bit more noticable but the bass incar is still very clean sounding. The sub is really flexing alot when its making the noise.

The recomended size for sealed is 2.0 cubic feet is it possible that my box is a tiny bit too big by .2 qubic feet and and causeing over excursion?? I dont think its caused from clipping i set my settings very carefeully and my bass sounds clean and my cone never even gets warm its cold even after playing it for two hours so it cant be clipping.

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

what kind of buzzing?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Is it coming from the subwoofer itself, or possibly from any speakers you may have in the rear? I know that once I turn my headunit up past a certain volume my rear speakers start to sound like they're buzzing. Try playing a track without the subwoofer on and see if the problem still occurs at those higher volumes, if so then it's probably because your headunit is being turned up too high.

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

to big by .2 isnt going to cause any problems. could be a gap between the baffle and the sub, dustcap, like you said over excursion to the point of loosing linearity, a screw hole pushing air through it, etc.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I have a 15 " sub in about a 2.2 cubic foot sealed box and when i have it turned up i hear a soft buzzing noise from the cone but only when i open my trunk but its barely noticable really. The bass still sounds fine and clean in the car and continues to get louder as i turn it up but the buzzing becomes a bit more noticable but the bass incar is still very clean sounding. The sub is really flexing alot when its making the noise.

The recomended size for sealed is 2.0 cubic feet is it possible that my box is a tiny bit too big by .2 qubic feet and and causeing over excursion?? I dont think its caused from clipping i set my settings very carefeully and my bass sounds clean and my cone never even gets warm its cold even after playing it for two hours so it cant be clipping.

The box being .2 cubes bigger should have nothing to do with it. i havea 5 ft3 box for my 15 . Is it sort of a popping noise when it hits or buzzing? I use to have a popping noise which was mostly do to gains set horribly wrong as in my LPF being around 110 and subsonic off and gain to high.

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

No its not like in the video that sub sounds half blown It kind of sounds like bass youtube videos where the mic sounds like its farting from so much bass but more like a soft buzz sound instead of farting mabey im just overpowering the

sub but not enough to blow its voice coils?

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

Anyway you can do a video, like the newbie did ?

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Archived