Sundown Audio

Sundown : New 2012 Frames / Parts Thread

Will 18s also get new surrounds aswell?

I am working on a design for the 6-spoke 18" frame as we'll be using it for a while still -- it will be late next year at best for our tooled 18" frame due to the massive cost.

I am working on a 10" spider adapter for the 18" 6-spoke, though, so it will use the same spider as our tooled 15" frame -- so the surround will be equal to the 15" frame surround.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

I saw this stuff on ROE. Awesome design Jacob. Keep us posted. :popcorn:

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

• 4 weeks later...

I have the go-ahead to show the frame renderings by my patent attorney as I've been assigned a patent application number... we will enforce the patents to the fullest extent of the law as well. In any event here we go :

Three_Frames_SML.jpg

Click to see a larger view.

A few people may have been expecting some crazy weird cosmetics -- but this is Sundown Audio where performance is first. The functional layout of the landings, clearances, bolt pattern, mounting lip, terminal location, etc were developed first then the legs and base were designed with the strength required to hold the motor weights we plan to utilize (and then some). Cosmetics fell in place based on the function required -- just like the SA-8 v.2 frame (also patent pending for reference).

So what we have here are the strongest frames I know of, period (about 3x the material of a 12-spoke frame)... with the highest clearances I am aware of on a one-piece frame as well. Not to mention wide enough spider landings to take advantage of it.

This was a Facebook exclusive from Sunday until now so to answer a question that was already asked -- no, there is no spider plateau venting. We will utilize a vent spacer like the SA-8 v.2, the SA-10/12/15, and the Z v.3 18 do now. These spacers work much better with my air-flow designs than a wide open design (yes, I did test that here at my shop with my own test methods).

Also... these will be used on lines BIGGER than the SA line. They are simply too costly to use on the SA line. So the upcoming X line, the Z line, and the NS line.

An 18" version is in the works but will be handled separately next year. Until then I have a bigger spider adapter ring I am tooling for the 6-spoke 18" frame (same size as my tooled 15" basket) as well as a beefier surround to support it.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

The frame renderings themselves are not ready to be shared yet but the cone body and surrounds are ready.

Each surround has the following calculated geometric capacity :

10 -- 50mm one-way (frame allows 45)

12 -- 55mm one-way (frame allows 50)

15 -- 60mm one-way (frame allows 55)

Therefore; each one has a 5mm cushion beyond what the frame can handle in it so the surround CANNOT reach the maximum geometric limit -- as this can cause stress and eventually tear the surround. We've taken note that no open tool / readily available surround can handle what some of our newer designs can dish out already... and future designs will be even more extreme on throw so these surrounds are made to handle anything we can dish out with the new frames.

The foam material itself is also quite thick so it remains stable at such a massive size. Yes these surrounds are insanely large... but we do plan to use them to their full potential as time goes on so they are completely necessary and not just for looks. I am not aware of any surround other than the Earthquake HoleeS that has similar capacity (it's about the size of the surround on our 10" cone).

SA-10_Cone_Web.jpg

SA-12_Cone_Web.jpg

SA-15_Cone_Web.jpg

Each cone fits the same dust cap as the Z v.3 15/18 and the SA-15 -- it is a "boob" cap as that design is stronger than the flatter dust caps we have used for years on the NS / older Z model subs. Also simplifies how many different dust cap we have to keep on hand.

The cone body is also quite thick and will be very similar to the material of the Z v.3 18" cones now -- but we may vary the exact material distribution slightly to get a bit more stiffness from these.

These will be used on the X Line, Z v.3 Line, and NS line woofers. We will eventually make 4" coil versions as well for future designs using the same surround just a different cone body.

-----

Anton Miller did this rending in 3D of the 12" cone and surround :

29347d1333044717-sundown-new-2012-frames-parts-thread-12-cone.jpg

Pretty dang tall surround.

Have you had any similar surrounds to test with to see if there is any buckling or crinkling under high excursion?

If so, I know of ways to diminish and eliminate it.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion