Sundown Audio

Why you need big electrical to run at less than rated impedance

Real men wire at .35 daily..lol I have for 2 plus years no issues.....and with 5 different amps.. I don't suggest this to everyone....

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

So this is just a little explanation of why when we run at .5ohm it takes a big alternator or 2 and a few batts.

If anyone has ever had a 2ohm stable amp and tried to run at 1ohm without sufficient electrical they have probably experienced amp shutdown at volume, but most people don't understand what's going on electrically. The problem is called voltage dip, and it occurs when impedance is very low. As the impedance decreeces the curent increeces, and consistently voltage drops, the problem is literally that the impeeadece is so low the electrons are moving around the circuit so quickly that it's a near short circuit. And as most of us know the way to avoid this is to get a bigger alternator. The biger alternator can provide the curent the amp is asking for to combat voltage dip. The moral of the story is either beef up the electrical or raise your impeadance!

I almost want to stop going for an electrical engineering degree now.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

if u just did online reaserch and then posted what u found, did you REALLY think we didnt know what we were doing? have u been around audio comps? most people are running below rated ohm load. y would audiophiles not know this

Edited by t-money

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

if u just did online reaserch and then posted what u found, did you REALLY think we didnt know what we were doing? have u been around audio comps? most people are running below rated ohm load. y would audiophiles not know this

I'm sure everyone knows how to run at lower than rated impedance, I was try to explain why in semi technical terms, that people need more electrical. The vast majority of people on this forum can ignore my "moral" because like several persons have pointed out, "we already knew that" (that being of course you need a bigger alt and batts).

i didnt have problems until i hit .25 ohms lol

couldnt get a burp off but let me tell you sundowns protections circuits are great

im retarded and they havent blown yet. thats all i will say lol

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I'm sure everyone knows how to run at lower than rated impedance, I was try to explain why in semi technical terms, that people need more electrical. The vast majority of people on this forum can ignore my "moral" because like several persons have pointed out, "we already knew that" (that being of course you need a bigger alt and batts).

Although there were some mistakes and inconsistencies, I applaud your effort. Instead of a "my friend says X brand is the best" or "a shop said X brand is trash and Kicker is the best" you made one to try and help further knowledge.

I would say even more research and actual experimentation might help solidify the rules and properties for you and be fun in the process.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I never run below manufacturers recommended impedance any more to many problems if I need more power I get a bigger amp

Plus for that few hundred extra Watts your making way more thd current draw and heat all bad things

So put it this way running lower ohms

Pro

More power

Cons

More heat

More thd

More current draw

And there is allways the possibality to blow your shit up

Cons highly out weights the 1 pro

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I can see competitors doing it to battle rise and staying within guidelines, but on a daily setup just doesn't make sense to me. I've wired low before but that was to test equipment, not to run at. People are still going to run at lower impedances, and that's fine. The real problem is when Joe Schmoe reads/sees it and blows his amp because he wanted more power.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Really interesting thread and I think its all good stuff to know. My experience with running lower than spec resistance killed my first amp and I didn't really understand why, so I've been running no lower than spec ever since. :good: Thanks guys.