First time FIBERGLASS! **door panels 6.5" mid range 99 jeep grand cherokee

ummmm....

24v1fe8.png

wow now this just shows that smd isnt just any forum. We are a brother hood.

here let me put it in retard-onix for u aareehhhh duuuurrrrr ehhh got it now?

Sweet baby jesus the amount of quoting the quote above the quote in a quote is epic

...and this could be a little rough! lol

Damn, you weren't kidding..

My advise would be to rip/sand that off , do some more research on relevant techniques and watch some youtube vids.

Making a detaled plan, going through the steps and visualizing them in your head helps out alot too!

Not trying to be mean but wat you have going on there is going to be a major PITA ot get decent.

unfortunately, they are wrong. the amount of bondo it would take to smooth those doors out they'd end up weighing an extra 15 pounds. it should have no creases or wrinkles in the material, I dont know if you prepped that panel enough so the glass will actually adhere, theres no actual mat or cloth on it (from what I can see) its always easier to do multiple layers at once then to let each layer dry...also possibly a pain in the ass if your using laminating resin since you'll have to sand it after it dries to add layers. interested to know how they are experienced in fiberglass giving you that answer. if you search through the fiberglass/fabrication section of this site, you'll see countless builds that show damn near step by step processes and great advice given. I would try to start over.

edit: I apologize if this came out a little harsh, but the amount of time you would spend trying to fix what is already there would be possibly double the amount of time taken to start over.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

its the bondo that makes of breaks it.

Bodyfiller is for "smaller" imperfections. Getting the basework with the cloth (a nice and strechy one!!) all nice and even to the correct shape is one of the most important aspects to good results, with less unnessesairy filling/sanding. I'm only on my second fibreglass project myself but that's what I think so far.

You'll learn a LOT after only a few hours of good research!

definitely, definitely restart. it looks like you just covered the door lightly with the fabric and resined it? i recommend doing door pods since they're smaller and will be easier to finish and learn from. jumping into doors is a big job. and the fabric needs to be TIGHT when you wrap it around whatever skeleton you're wrapping.

and never listen to that 'experienced' fiberglassing guy lol. i'd be scared to see what projects he has finished.

Archived