First time FIBERGLASS! **door panels 6.5" mid range 99 jeep grand cherokee

You cant see what's wrong with that?

Where the hell did you do your research?!

When you bondo over all this you wont even be able to tell? Well thats what i was told anyways

first- its wavy and wrinkly as all get out, you are going to use 30 lbs of filler just to smooth it out.

second- its full of soft spots and air pockets that are no bueno. those panels will begin to fall apart and crack like mad... the point isnt to resin a fucked up substrate and then worry about it with 10 gallons of filler... the smoother and more even you base is.. the better the rest of it will turn out, filler isnt a savior, you dont want inch thick spots of it... whoever you are listening to has no idea what the fuck they are talking about, sorry if that hurts your feelings, but we are trying to help you have a nice end result, not some rigged up half assed shit... its like car body work... sure you could just cover the dents with 3 inches of filler and sand it out, and itll look ok at best, for a few weeks until it starts to crack and peel. You made mistakes with your first attempt, its not to late to stop and try again...

You keep asking for advice, yet you have an answer for everything everyone has said to you....

The advice you need to follow is to start over and take your time. But since you know it all and already have an answer for everything everyone has said, why are you even bothering to ask us for input?

not to mention, jigsaw blades are piss cheap...

never said they wernt cheap, just didnt want to go get a new one

Well, as long as ur happy with it :)

i am definitely not happy with it lol i know it looks like shit. This is the first time and i just need to fix this one with the bondo. I know my other 3 will be done nicer, i have to prepare more than how i did this time. I need to get all materials so i can do it all in one shot not all mixed and matched. I just dont like when im told there is no way to fix it. I am on a teenage budget and this door will be fine for what im looking for.

Yep, just as I thought, door panel is still ruined. Hopefully you learned something from it, the thread started with good advice but you just argued help away. And Rich65, STFU, you're just trolling for an argument and jumped on the "wrong" kid's side to do just that. You should have started much smaller for your first fiberglass project. Its not easy, and it takes years to get good at. Start with speaker pods or perhaps a simple sealed fiberglass enclosure for a trunk. And another thing OP, you are from from being skilled enough to touch a customers car with fiberglass, someone mentioned an audio shop earlier and you are not skilled enough yet to sell your work. Get the proper tools, and sufficient supplies and have them all in hand ready to go, or you're just wasting your money with these learning projects and you'll never get ahead with your skills.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

LOL. Speaking of blades, I bought a whole new jigsaw because mine was such a pos that you could never make a straight vertical cut with it. It would always try to pivot on it's base and the blade guide was shot. I'm only saying this because i'm guessing the o.p. doesn't have unlimited funds to just throw at his hobby. The key to success is having good tools. When the o.p. says he didn't care that his jigsaw blade was bent and crap and just used it anyway tells me he doesn't really care about the success of this project. Anything like this project requires the right prep work for it to work. My first fiberglass project sucked to, if you want to see it it's in my build log. I forgot to put down cloth as my first layer and just put don the fiberglass mat. I wondered why the resin was going everywhere. I managed to salvage the project but i wont make that mistake again. So if anything the o.p. will learn alot from this project about what not to do.

i'm also curious as to how you actually wrapped the door panel? i just saw lots of extra cloth hanging all over the edges. even in the most recent picture. that's what makes me think it was just laid over the door and then resined. hopefully this was a learning process and you'll work on other smaller projects and build up to something bigger while working on your skills. and not jump right to the next door.

our fiberglassing section is pretty good imo, and there's timmy's section as well (groundpounder2k2) where you can learn TONS! and there's also a fiberglassing forum as well. something tells me you haven't looked in depth enough

Since my question will help this guy out too, I'll ask it here.

I'd like to learn how to properly fiberglass. My first project will be to fiberglass the inside and then maybe the outside of my next enclosure. I know I could google it and find some tutorials on how to do it, but if you fiberglass pro's don't mind, could you guys link me/him to a few good tutorials of your recommendation?

Thanks guys, hope this question will help the OP out as well! :)

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Archived