Second Skin Audio

Box design approval + Question about woofer placement

Thanks 412, back to your statement on shooting for 3.5 cubes net...I realize that I have low power, but that seems like a loooooot of volume. Manufacturer specs are ported box volume: 1.5-3.0 cubic feet, with an optimum volume of 2.25 cubes. I am unsure about this, as compared to your knowledge of box design and building.

Edit: poor choice of wording

Edited by Phawstir

2000 Jeep Cherokee

15" Alpine Type R box build coming soon!

Thanks 412, back to your statement on shooting for 3.5 cubes net...I realize that I have low power, but that seems like a loooooot of volume. Manufacturer specs are ported box volume: 1.5-3.0 cubic feet, with an optimum volume of 2.25 cubes. I am unsure about this, as compared to your knowledge of box design and building.

Edit: poor choice of wording

This is based on using the recommended power to the sub as well. Since you are running low power to the sub running a larger enclosure will let the sub move more freely without restriction.

Edited by varietyguy

anything below 2.5 cubes for a 15 is ridiculous. shoot for at leeeast 3 cubes.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I also agree hence going a bit bigger with the box

When designing a box for slot port 14-16sq" per/ft is what you are after

Also with a slot port try to not go over 9:1 ratio the closer to 1:1 the more efficient,

The more efficient the smaller you can have a port hence aero a at 9-13 per ft

My self I like my ports in the high 14 but thats me

If I were you 2.5-3cuft

14-15sq" Per/ft of port

How is this lookin' then?

woofercalculatorpic2.jpg

Edit:

Also, my woofer mounting depth is a sliver under 9 inches. if the ass end of the woofer is pointing towards the port wall (along the internal back side of the box), there will only be just over an inch of gap between the magnet and port wall. Is this acceptable?

Edited by Phawstir

2000 Jeep Cherokee

Do you listen to a lot of chopped and screwed music? personally i'd shrink the port area to around 14 per cube, and raise the tuning to 33-35 hz so you can still pick up some of the higher notes.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

No I don't. Ideally, I'd like this box to slam some lows, but still be musical for rock, metal, and other genres. Anything is going to be better than my 42hz tuned prefab in use at the moment. Thanks for the advice 412 you're really helping me out. I'll go see what numbers I can throw together. Any other advice would be much appreciated

2000 Jeep Cherokee

this is what you want. you're underpowering the sub, so a bigger box should give you the best output. usually a smaller port area will sound a punchier for your metal and rock,

sssssssss.png

SUBSCRIBE AT YOUTUBE! 18abVFL < CLICK!!

2005 Subaru Impreza

My build log.

Head unit- Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695

Front doors- Rockford Fosgate 6.5" Prime components

Rear doors- Rockford Fosgate 4" Punch coaxials

Sub amp- Audiopipe AP18001d

Subs- Two American Bass TNT 10"s

Box- 2.6 cubes @ 34hz, 36in of port

Big 3 & run of Raptor 1/0 to rear powercell

TEAM 808 UPSTATE NY.

ab1.png

Can it be heard 2 blocks away, thats how i rate systems.

unless I'm wrong, you forgot to change the port height AB18VFL. Thanks for your input, I'm trying to balance quite a bit and with this being my first ported build i want to make sure I'm taking steps in the right direction. I listen to pretty much everything. For sure a good chunk of dubstep and rap/hip hop, but i still would like some musical capability for other genres, though they get a slight bit less playing time in my Jeep

2000 Jeep Cherokee

unless I'm wrong, you forgot to change the port height AB18VFL. Thanks for your input, I'm trying to balance quite a bit and with this being my first ported build i want to make sure I'm taking steps in the right direction. I listen to pretty much everything. For sure a good chunk of dubstep and rap/hip hop, but i still would like some musical capability for other genres, though they get a slight bit less playing time in my Jeep

wow youre right, i did forget to change the port height.

i listen to alot of dubstep and metal. yesterday i build a big box alot like the design i gave you, except for a 12. im very happy with it.

SUBSCRIBE AT YOUTUBE! 18abVFL < CLICK!!

2005 Subaru Impreza

My build log.

Head unit- Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695

Front doors- Rockford Fosgate 6.5" Prime components

Rear doors- Rockford Fosgate 4" Punch coaxials

Sub amp- Audiopipe AP18001d

Subs- Two American Bass TNT 10"s

Box- 2.6 cubes @ 34hz, 36in of port

Big 3 & run of Raptor 1/0 to rear powercell

TEAM 808 UPSTATE NY.

ab1.png

Can it be heard 2 blocks away, thats how i rate systems.