How do you choose caliber and your ammo for Self Defense Carry

I buy the heaviest loads i can find. I figure if i miss ill just shoot again.

Not to contradict your intelligence... But being as how i have been in some shootings... You should really think about making EVERY shot count... There are times where you may have to make your 1st shot count because that may be all you get... Just an FYI

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Not to contradict your intelligence... But being as how i have been in some shootings... You should really think about making EVERY shot count... There are times where you may have to make your 1st shot count because that may be all you get... Just an FYI

Smoke... thats exactly the kind of person Im not to worried about getting into a shootout with. Heaviest load isnt the best answer. Its the one you can hit with. You can have a damn bazooka for all I care... I know my shooting is on point.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Ya a heavy load is no good if u cant hit what u aim at.... In some instances heavier loads dont penetrate as well as higher velocity light loads from some of the testing i have seen

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

I like my colt 45 desert commander with hollow point bullets. It's what I am most comfortable and i can put a nice pattern on a target 20ft away. Also the laser grip on the colt is damn nice at night and allows me to easily and accurately aim.

My father uses a .38 revolver and a pump shot gun. He likes the revolver bc you don't have to think, you just pull the trigger especially when you're just waking up and ur groggy by any chance.

A pump is nice bc it's scary as fuck to hear it, shoots a big pattern making it hard to miss, does lots of damage, and doesn't go through 2-3 walls before stopping.

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

I carry a glock 23 with 155gr Speer Gold Dots and a Glock 19 with 115gr +p...I alternate between the two randomly, I chose them due to reliability, ease of concealment, and high capacity. I use those rounds since Ive seen what they do penetration and expansion wise on human and pig flesh first hand. Id take a well placed 9mm over a 230gr .45 that missed the "sweet spot" so I tend to laugh at caliber whores.

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

I carry a glock 23 with 155gr Speer Gold Dots and a Glock 19 with 115gr +p...I alternate between the two randomly, I chose them due to reliability, ease of concealment, and high capacity. I use those rounds since Ive seen what they do penetration and expansion wise on human and pig flesh first hand. Id take a well placed 9mm over a 230gr .45 that missed the "sweet spot" so I tend to laugh at caliber whores.

I agree. A large caliber handgun isnt worth a damn if you cant get shots on target. So i would agree with u on that aspect

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

I chose Glock based on their known reliability to perform in any condition. I have carried 9mm, .40, and .45 and have settled on the .40 as my daily carry. I like the extra punch of the .40 cal round over the 9mm and the ease of second shot follow up over the kick of the .45. I just upgraded to the gen4 g23 over my old g27 due to the larger mag capacity.

I dont generally get involved in threads like this because of posts like this. All I will comment on is the fact that you are responsible for all the rounds fired from your weapon. If you "miss" I hope you dont hit anything that may ruin your life, or someone elses. While CC is a right I think everyone should have, the highest level of respect should be given to that right as your actions and decisions to excercise it may have consequences that effect more than you.

With that said I wish you luck on your paper. You have lots of info here to choose from.

Edited by ROLEXrifleman

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

I carry my five seven, because of the caliber/weight/recoil/rounds per mag..

It has literally no recoil, and the only ammo i can get is hollowpoints, as FMJs are illegal to purchase for this weapon.

I wanted something that would penetrate and bounce around, like a normal .223 does, instead of going right through, and over penetrating and possibly injuring/killing a innocent bystander.

ask sensai, he fell in love with mine tonight :P

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones