Sonic Electronix

IB wall not hitting as low as my box was

hey guys, im new on SMD so i hope this is the right section for this post.

i finally got around to building an IB wall but it doesnt get low at all, i had a 2.8cu/ft ported box i bought that hit lower, i want to get back down to where that was but im not sure how? i havent sealed the wall yet(like spray foam in cracks and stuff, its got several gaps) and im really hoping this is the problem. i switched my headunit to run the sub in reverse and that seemed to make it a slight bit better. ill post pix of the wall so you can all see it and how its set up. and please help me get my low bass again :( also its not as loud im assuming this comes from not having as large a range to play.

Thanks guys

Greg.

PIX SOON

1st thing like you said is to seal off your baffle. If the front wave and back wave can get by each other, you will have big loss and cancellation. For sure start with that.

Second- you check all your settings on your new head unit I assume? High pass/Low Pass etc...

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

i havent sealed the wall yet(like spray foam in cracks and stuff, its got several gaps)

Well there's your problem. Now get some pics :)

What subs are you using? How big is your trunk? IB is pretty finicky believe it or not. If you are using smaller drivers (which it sounds like due to the old box) it might be better if you ran multiples. This would help with the output. Your sub needs to have a stiff suspension as there is nothing really there to control the suspension due to the size of an IB alignment. Sealing the car will make a big difference too. I had problems with group delay and cancellation till I sealed mine. You won't be setting any records for spl with an IB setup either. lol. They can get loud but it can take larger subs on more power. This isn't always the case though.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Ninja'd me on the pics. Is it a Alpine? The basket and motor looks familiar. How much power are they on?

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

yeah its a 12" type R, i wanted to power it at 500w rms but i didnt realize that dual 2 ohm couldnt run as 2 ohm, so its at 4ohms supposedly somewhere around 300w rms, i havent actually checked it, most people with the amp say they get closer to 500, its the alpine 500-something amp.

im not 100% sure its tuned right either, i just built a wall that would fit in the car, i wanted to remove the old box because of the weight of it. my poor little honda doesnt like to pull the 60 lbs of MDF the box is made of, plus the woofer.

i think its doing what people call bottoming out, it hits the notes but some it just skips over, i know where all the bass is in the songs im using and its like its deleting some notes and others are just really soft.

I thought the point of the IB was to have the sub facing the cabin, and to use the trunk as the box its self, not firing into the trunk and using the cabin as the box.. some one correct me please?

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I was thinking the same thing Sir ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived