Realistic question - Breaking the threshold?

194 represents a perfect vacuum upon rarefraction.

So NO, we will never be able to REPRODUCE sound at that level and beyond since sound does not exist at that level and beyond.

Unless

We do it in water.

I like doing it in water

- 1998 Ford Mustang -

Time to rebuild.

4 15s and alot of power

TEAM DTF

So NO, we will never be able to REPRODUCE sound at that level and beyond since sound does not exist at that level and beyond.

Unless

We do it in water.

That's because of the 14.x psi of our atmosphere right?

I'm waiting for competitors to turn their ride into a huge compressed air tank and put it up to 30psi or something to score higher :peepwall:

Unless

We do it in water.

That's because of the 14.x psi of our atmosphere right?

I'm waiting for competitors to turn their ride into a huge compressed air tank and put it up to 30psi or something to score higher :peepwall:

Actually, compressed air has been done in the 90s and then outlawed in competition 1 day later.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I like doing it in water

if-you-know-what-i-mean-420x250.png

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

BTW, with current woofer technology we will never see scores over 186 dB in a vehicle. And I will tell you why.

High SPL is all about pressure. Positive pressure and negative pressure, compression and vacuum.

In a vehicle and especially according to SPL organization rules, we are limited as to how small a vehicle's interior can be.

The smaller we can make a pressure chamber, the easier it is to pressurize and create vacuum.

Even if we make a test chamber as small as we want, we run into what I call a frequency paradox.

See, we can have a woofer displace 1 cubic foot for example. So we put it into a 1 cubic foot chamber and it should be able to create a perfect vacuum upon rarefraction. Which is technically possible when dealing with pressure, but we are dealing with SOUND pressure. So this 1 cubic foot chamber has a resonance. And the way the SPL sensor works and the way that sound pressure in general works is that we would now have to play a super high frequency to couple the pressure wave to the sensor. Now we have a woofer that will need to displace 1 cubic ft of airspace at a frequency that is beyond its reproduction capabilities.

So you see where we are at?

Woofers today can only move so much against pressure, and the option of reducing cabin size to compensate will only put optimal frequencies out of the range of the woofer. So we are at a point where technology must change in order to advance SPL.

If you can make a tweeter that can displace 1 cubic foot with extreme pressure pushing against it, then you have a chance.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

BTW, with current woofer technology we will never see scores over 186 dB in a vehicle. And I will tell you why.

High SPL is all about pressure. Positive pressure and negative pressure, compression and vacuum.

In a vehicle and especially according to SPL organization rules, we are limited as to how small a vehicle's interior can be.

The smaller we can make a pressure chamber, the easier it is to pressurize and create vacuum.

Even if we make a test chamber as small as we want, we run into what I call a frequency paradox.

See, we can have a woofer displace 1 cubic foot for example. So we put it into a 1 cubic foot chamber and it should be able to create a perfect vacuum upon rarefraction. Which is technically possible when dealing with pressure, but we are dealing with SOUND pressure. So this 1 cubic foot chamber has a resonance. And the way the SPL sensor works and the way that sound pressure in general works is that we would now have to play a super high frequency to couple the pressure wave to the sensor. Now we have a woofer that will need to displace 1 cubic ft of airspace at a frequency that is beyond its reproduction capabilities.

Woofers today can only move so much against pressure, and the option of reducing cabin size to compensate will only put optimal frequencies out of the range of the woofer. So we are at a point where technology must change in order to advance SPL.

If you can make a tweeter that can displace 1 cubic foot with extreme pressure pushing against it, then you have a chance.

i think i just got mind f**ked... *_*

http://www.youtube.c...e1?feature=mheehttp://www.stevemead...87#entry1993187

JVC KD-R530 head unit

VVME INNO-D1500 sub amp

Kenwood KAC-8402 amplifierPioneer 2-way 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohms

DTI Audio 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohmsbox: 4.24 ft^3 tuned to 61 hertz (port walls fell off and dissapeared :( )

Wow my head hurts now. Cool information.

can you dumb that down? my brain no functionz right

2x sundown audio sa 12's

Crescendo BC2000

kinetik 1800, 1400.

Rockford punch 5,25 component set

MB QUART ONYX 4.80

Mechman 270a alt

all this really wont matter untill we get test equipment that can read over 183 dbs the TL stops at 183dbs so there is no standard way of testing higher

i hear stories that alan dante got the TL to read Error because he past the 183 mark

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

can you dumb that down? my brain no functionz right

Me either. I literally just woke up.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

Archived