Second Skin Audio

need guidance with sub selection

I had my dual 15 L7 kickers stolen so now im looking to upgrade. i want quality sound, good frequency response, and the ability for the subs to go as high and low as my home stereo. I was looking at JL 13w6 when i came across fi audio. i had never heard of them so i started doing some research and come to find people say they are just as good as JL for much less. so now i am in a pickel, i have a 2500 dodge ram cummins with a kicker ZX1500.1 amp, alpine X type component speakers on a MTX amp, and a pioneer head unit with 4V outs.

what will be the best choice for me? 2 more 15 kickers are around 500 bucks on craigslist, a 13w6 is around 450 on ebay, or a brand new fiQ or fi BL 18" for around 400.00 OR should i go with 2 of another sub? how close will a single JL or a single fibl/q 18" be to the dual 15's? i am currently running a 12" L7 and its just no where near enough to match the volume of my mids and highs. also taking into account that my amp is rated at 1872W date of birth.

finally, the box design... i was thinking of going sealed for the sound quality but fibl's say ported only. I myself have used all ported speakers for years and my home theater sounds amazing with all ported floor standing speakers and a 15" ported sub that has better frequency response than any car sub ive ever had. so how much does this sealed vs ported really matter?

Edited by ncc74656

nothing, gutted

i tested a fi ssd vs a JLW7 and the ssd won! if you want a sq woofer that gets down i would pick the FIQ if you want more spl then the FIBL. but i would also look into Obsidian Audio and sundown audio and skar as they offer better prices if your on a budget.

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

It depends on the person. One person will say hey these kickers are bad ass and then someone else will say no these rockford are better. In the end, it all comes down to the set-up and box. I have just 2 kicker 12" dcvr's on a rockford fosgate power 1500 amp. And it hits harder and sounds great. Best thing is if you can get a demo of the ones that you are really interested in. Also, each sub sounds different in every vehicle. I did a truck like yours at my shop and we used 2 rockford fosgate T1 12" subs on a rockford fosgate power 1500 amp. And it pounded.

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

If you have the space and don't want to upgrad amp or get another 1500

The FiQ18 is a very good choise

If u can get another zx1500.1 then 2 FiQ15 would be my choise,

I was very surprised in the sq they produced for the price

How many cuft you got to work with?

And do you plane on getting a bigger or second amp?

Skar has good SQ & Bang, especially for the buck. ^_~

New Setup;

H/U; Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Wiring; 2 runs of 2/0 OFC & Big 3.

Subs; 2 D1 DC Level 4s.

Monoblock; DC 3.5k.

4 Channel; JBL GTO1004.

Highs; Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Mids; Aura NS6-255-8A.

Alt; 160a.

Batts; Optima, KHC1800.

I do not plan on upgrading or buying a second amp. as for space... i have the entire back seat but if i can use less than that then thats great as it gives me more room for my drills, saws, impact guns, ect.

all these brands ive never heard of... ill do some research into these other subs

nothing, gutted