Sundown Audio

Test: Sundown 1500d Vs Rf T1k Part 2

Derrick824

I'll start off with the more exciting test. A pair of Sundowns strapped @ 1ohm (o.5ohm each).

Car: 2005 Altima 3.5se

Head Unit: Pioneer

Subs: Two RF Power T115D4s

Box: 5.6ft w/ four 4" aeros tuned to 35hz (subs up, ports forward)

Burps were done at the cars peak of 41hz.

First hit was 147.7db. :) Thats a solid 2.3db gain over the previous best of 145.4db with a single amp and 2.5db gain over our average score of 145.2db. Current draw was whopping 472amps. The car is flexing like crazy and the trunk lid looks as if it wants to fly off.

Posted Image

This pic sort of looks like the Rockford is hiding from the Sundowns. :lol:

Posted Image

Of course we didn't test the RFs at this low an impedance but the pair had previously been tested @ 2ohms each. The T1K has an actual output of 1400-1500watts @ 1ohm and supposedly around 1000watts @ 2ohm so a pair was tested @ 2ohms each thinking they would be more efficient and give more power than a single T1K @ 1ohm. There was no change in score. Two T1Ks @ 2ohm each did the same thing as a single T1K @ 1ohm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I know this test was a little unfair since the RFs can't run as low as the Sundowns but we're testing which amp will do better for us in competition and the pair of Sundowns win without a doubt. We also did some testing in the kick and hit 149.1db. :o Not bad for a trunk car. B) It also became obvious that under these conditions we need more batteries. :( This setup will be tested again once the four Optima G31s my brother & I ordered from the Parts Express sale get here. We're shooting for a 148+ on the dash and a 150+ in the kick.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next test was a little more even head to head setup with the amps @ 1ohm each.

Car: 2006 GMC Yukon

Head Unit: stock Bose

Subs: Two Fi Bl Dual 2ohm 18s

Box: 13.75ft w/ 190" of port tuned to 32hz (subs up, port back)

Electrical: 160a alternator w/ a single Optima Red Top under the hood.

Burps were done at the cars peak of 41hz. I've changed the port in this box from my last setup so my scores weren't as good. My previous best was 147.9db.

First up were the Sundowns. They were setup one amp on each sub @ 1ohm. It hit 146.8db. Current draw was 338amps. Voltage dropped from 14.9 to 10.4.

Posted Image

The RF T1Ks were ran identical to the Sundowns, one amp on each sub @ 1ohm. They hit 146.5db. Current draw was 302amps. Voltage dropped from 14.9 to 10.6. Following tests dropped to 146.3db then 146.1db. Current draw also continued to drop down to 280amps. Volts were consistent with drops from 14.9 to 10.6 every time.

Posted Image

The Sundowns clearly pulled more power here but also efficiently put it to use with a score consistently .3db higher than the RF's best score. They also stayed consistent where as even though the RF's pulled less power they're scores got worse & worse each time. I normally run a pair of Yellow Tops in the back which would have helped greatly in this test but they were in my Explorer which my wife had at work. :( I don't doubt that these tests would have had slightly different results with them in place. Had the T1Ks had the power they wanted I believe they would have kept up better. For now though I'm still giving this win to the Sundown 1500Ds. This test will of course be revisited at a later date with more power. I still want to test the Sundowns strapped @ 0.5ohm (0.25ohm each) on my Bls but there wasn't any way I was doing it without a few extra batteries to help support the voltage.

Posted Image

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

I'll start off with the more exciting test. A pair of Sundowns strapped @ 1ohm (o.5ohm each).

Car: 2005 Altima 3.5se

Head Unit: Pioneer

Subs: Two RF Power T115D4s

Box: 5.6ft w/ four 4" aeros tuned to 35hz (subs up, ports forward)

Burps were done at the cars peak of 41hz.

First hit was 147.7db. :) Thats a solid 2.3db gain over the previous best of 145.4db with a single amp and 2.5db gain over our average score of 145.2db. Current draw was whopping 472amps. The car is flexing like crazy and the trunk lid looks as if it wants to fly off.

Posted Image

This pic sort of looks like the Rockford is hiding from the Sundowns. :lol:

Posted Image

Of course we didn't test the RFs at this low an impedance but the pair had previously been tested @ 2ohms each. The T1K has an actual output of 1400-1500watts @ 1ohm and supposedly around 1000watts @ 2ohm so a pair was tested @ 2ohms each thinking they would be more efficient and give more power than a single T1K @ 1ohm. There was no change in score. Two T1Ks @ 2ohm each did the same thing as a single T1K @ 1ohm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I know this test was a little unfair since the RFs can't run as low as the Sundowns but we're testing which amp will do better for us in competition and the pair of Sundowns win without a doubt. We also did some testing in the kick and hit 149.1db. :o Not bad for a trunk car. B) It also became obvious that under these conditions we need more batteries. :( This setup will be tested again once the four Optima G31s my brother & I ordered from the Parts Express sale get here. We're shooting for a 148+ on the dash and a 150+ in the kick.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next test was a little more even head to head setup with the amps @ 1ohm each.

Car: 2006 GMC Yukon

Head Unit: stock Bose

Subs: Two Fi Bl Dual 2ohm 18s

Box: 13.75ft w/ 190" of port tuned to 32hz (subs up, port back)

Electrical: 160a alternator w/ a single Optima Red Top under the hood.

Burps were done at the cars peak of 41hz. I've changed the port in this box from my last setup so my scores weren't as good. My previous best was 147.9db.

First up were the Sundowns. They were setup one amp on each sub @ 1ohm. It hit 146.8db. Current draw was 338amps. Voltage dropped from 14.9 to 10.4.

Posted Image

The RF T1Ks were ran identical to the Sundowns, one amp on each sub @ 1ohm. They hit 146.5db. Current draw was 302amps. Voltage dropped from 14.9 to 10.6. Following tests dropped to 146.3db then 146.1db. Current draw also continued to drop down to 280amps. Volts were consistent with drops from 14.9 to 10.6 every time.

Posted Image

The Sundowns clearly pulled more power here but also efficiently put it to use with a score consistently .3db higher than the RF's best score. They also stayed consistent where as even though the RF's pulled less power they're scores got worse & worse each time. I normally run a pair of Yellow Tops in the back which would have helped greatly in this test but they were in my Explorer which my wife had at work. :( I don't doubt that these tests would have had slightly different results with them in place. Had the T1Ks had the power they wanted I believe they would have kept up better. For now though I'm still giving this win to the Sundown 1500Ds. This test will of course be revisited at a later date with more power. I still want to test the Sundowns strapped @ 0.5ohm (0.25ohm each) on my Bls but there wasn't any way I was doing it without a few extra batteries to help support the voltage.

Posted Image

So lemme' get this straight . . . the Sundown amplifier outperformed the T10001bds when the T10001bds were starved for power. I'm not sure how "conclusive" your results are actually . . . Could you repeat the tests in such a way that the T10001bd amplifiers could produce the power we designed them to produce when installed correctly?

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

quoting a 25 picture post ftl :) but i like how you go through and do these tests and compare them. nice posts to read. i was torn between sundown and a t30001 and glad i went with a sundown. either choice woulda been good...but at least i wasnt let down

So lemme' get this straight . . . the Sundown amplifier outperformed the T10001bds when the T10001bds were starved for power. I'm not sure how "conclusive" your results are actually . . . Could you repeat the tests in such a way that the T10001bd amplifiers could produce the power we designed them to produce when installed correctly?

What I'm saying is the Sundowns outperformed the Rockfords when both brands were starved for power. Not just the Rockfords. I already admitted that I goofed on that part and said so in my last paragraph. :blush: I also said that I will revisit this test so no problem there. Thats on the schedule for this afternoon. Then the results will be "conclusive".

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

strap those sundownz at 1 ohm on your bl's once you get batteries! thatll be legittt

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

now make another test thread and put in a Ho alternator and those batteries and give us the results.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Archived