Second Skin Audio

Carbon Fiber Box, NEW AMP RACK PICS ADDED, Page 13!!!

I want so see and hear vids of the final product. It looked like a pretty cool project. I was hoping to see the end of this :(

In your defense, I have seen builds where they use carbon fiber for standard car parts that don't see any kind of load.

Also intersted to see how it turns out, and the sound it produces,

Here a pic of a cf rapped glass box built for a single blarpunk 18 sealed(not mine and I didn't build,)

Alot of thought also went into this box, and if it turns out anything like it it will look sweet as,

43762875.jpg

39643669.jpg

Opinions are one thing, but lacking tact as most most of these "opinions" lacked it would be received as an insult. I think seemless lines would be much easier for the outside than inside....

Other things made in CF are made in molds, then trimmed and sometimes airbrushed to look flawless. Then lots of clear :)

Real CF looks totally different then the imitation wraps or vinyl stuff. Some people have nothing better to do then go on people's threads and post only negative comments. They never offer positive advice. I was tuned in to this build because I have never seen it done before, no matter if it cost the builder 20k, it's not your $$$ so don't worry about it. It's like saying the guy who does 16 10's is dumb when he could put 4 18's. The OP should post his pics cuz there are more people who want to see it finished then there are haters.

Thanks for the kind words from all of the guys who had positive things to say. For those who thought I might stop the build because of the criticism, that was never a possibility. I just stopped posting my updates when the Ray and friends showed up to give their two cents worth. I'm sure all of Ray's builds look perfect every step of the way, but I'm not a professional, so my stuff doesn't always look perfect. It's been quite a few years since the last time I built a sub box, and they were never really that nice back then either. I posted pics of the process, the good, the bad and the ugly....in the hope that others might learn from what I did, both right and wrong. I'm hoping for the finished product to look good, but along the way, it may not be as appealing as some would think it should be. I'm doing the best I can and I have learned ALOT while doing this. I've learned what to do and what not to do and how I would do things differently if I ever tackled such a project again. If I were ever to do this again, I am confident that I could do a 150% nicer job....and in less time. That was what this whole project was about for me. To learn. To see if I could do it and make it turn out nicely...and to see if it would still perform without any interior bracing other than the CF and resin.

After not posting updates for a week now, I decided that I really would rather post up again for those that cared to see the completion of this project. It isn't quite finished, but it is really close. I should have it in the Escalade in a day or two. I just have one more side to flood and then run wire, seal the wire hole, and mount the subs.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

Archived